Acceleration from Position vs Time^2 ?

In summary, the problem at hand is a free fall problem in which the goal is to calculate the acceleration (a=g). The student has attempted to solve the problem using various equations and methods, including creating a graph and obtaining a best fit polynomial equation. However, there seems to be confusion in terms of the data and calculations, resulting in inconsistent and changing acceleration values. The suggested approach is to find the average velocity and mid-time for each time interval, and use this to calculate the acceleration. It is also noted that the data points in the graph do not align perfectly and the last data point may be an outlier.
amd123

Homework Statement

http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/6466/31231242.png

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/5220/76022234.png

It's a free fall problem and I have to calculate a = g

Homework Equations

g = (2*(d-(vi * t)))/t^2
g = (2d)/t^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I've made a graph and I've obtained a best fit polynomial equation.
I know that m/t^2 = a, however if I just divide the position by time squared will that alone give me acceleration?

I've tried finding initial velocity by subtracting (p2-p1)/(t2-t1) and the change in time with (t2-t1) and delta d (d2-d1) and I used this as vi for the first equation I gave...but this calculation gives me 0. Basically all the calculations cancel each other out.

I've tried taking the position * 2 and dividing by t^2 and I'm still getting an acceleration value that keeps changing as the position and time increases.

What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, it's important to know what your data represent.

I'm guessing that your timer was at 1.0470 seconds when your falling object was at position 0.142 meters . It makes no sense to take the square of the time.

At 1.0973 s -- 0.0503 s later -- the object was at 0.222 m -- that's 0.080 from the earlier position.

What was the average velocity during that first 0.0503 s time interval? Also, since you are assuming that the acceleration is approximately a constant, that average velocity should be the instantaneous velocity at the mid-time of the first time interval, i.e. at time (1.0470 + 0.0503/2) s .

Do the same for each successive time interval.
Find average velocity and mid-time for 1.0973 s to 1.1477 s, 1.1477 s to 1.1983 s, etc.

Graph these velocities vs the "mid-time". The acceleration is the slope of this graph.​

Alternative to using the slope: Find the average acceleration from one "mid-time" to the next, for each of the mid-time intervals. Average these accelerations.

Additional comment: For a graph such as the one you show, notice that except for the last data point, the data very nearly fall on a straight line. Most experimenters would suspect that the last data point is an "outlier" and thus would tend to ignore it.
Since t2 as calculated for this graph is meaningless, in this case the straight line is merely a coincidence.​

1. What is "Acceleration from Position vs Time^2"?

"Acceleration from Position vs Time^2" is a mathematical representation of the relationship between acceleration, position, and time. It is a commonly used equation in physics to determine the acceleration of an object based on its position and time measurements.

2. How is "Acceleration from Position vs Time^2" different from other acceleration equations?

"Acceleration from Position vs Time^2" is different from other acceleration equations because it takes into account the square of time in its calculation. This allows for a more accurate representation of acceleration over time, especially for objects with non-uniform motion.

3. How do you calculate "Acceleration from Position vs Time^2"?

The equation for "Acceleration from Position vs Time^2" is a = 2D/t^2, where a is the acceleration, D is the change in position, and t is the change in time squared. This can also be written as a = (vf - vi)/t^2, where vf is the final velocity and vi is the initial velocity.

4. What are the units of measurement for "Acceleration from Position vs Time^2"?

The units of measurement for "Acceleration from Position vs Time^2" are typically meters per second squared (m/s^2) or feet per second squared (ft/s^2), depending on the units used for position and time. This represents the rate of change of velocity over time squared.

5. What real-world applications use "Acceleration from Position vs Time^2"?

"Acceleration from Position vs Time^2" is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to analyze the motion of objects. It can also be applied in real-world scenarios, such as calculating the acceleration of a car, determining the trajectory of a projectile, or understanding the motion of celestial bodies in space.