Finding the instantaneous velocity on a position time graph

In summary, to find the instantaneous velocity of a position-time graph at 0.5 seconds, you need to create a tangent line to that point and measure its slope using the formula (y2-y1)/(x2-x1). It doesn't matter where the line begins or ends as long as you use a reasonably long line to get more accurate measurements. In this case, the velocity was constant for the points being found, so finding the slope was sufficient.
slag1928
I need help with a very general question. I was asked to find the instantaneous velocity of a position time graph at .5 seconds. i know to do this i need to create a line that is the tangent to that point. Here lie the problem... how on Earth do i make that line, and how do i measure the slope?

i think (y2-y1/x2-x1)for finding the slope of the tangent line? but i have no idea where that line should begin or end.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't matter where the line begins or ends, it still has the same slope... So I'd draw a reasonably long line so that both the "rise" ([itex]y_2-y_1[/itex]) and "run" ([itex]x_2-x_1[/itex]) are biggish numbers, and then calculate their ratio as you suggest. (If they're both big numbers, they're easier to measure precisely so your value for the gradient will be more accurate.)

thank you. turns out i was over complicating things. the velocity was constant for the points i was finding so it was as simple as finding the slope. T.T

1. What is instantaneous velocity?

Instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time. It is calculated by finding the slope of the tangent line at that point on a position-time graph.

2. How is instantaneous velocity different from average velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement divided by the total time, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific moment in time. Average velocity gives an overall picture of an object's motion, while instantaneous velocity provides more detailed information about its motion at a particular moment.

3. How can I find the instantaneous velocity on a position-time graph?

To find the instantaneous velocity on a position-time graph, you must first locate the point on the graph where you want to find the velocity. Then, draw a tangent line at that point and calculate its slope. The slope of the tangent line represents the instantaneous velocity at that point.

4. Can instantaneous velocity be negative?

Yes, instantaneous velocity can be negative. This means that the object is moving in the negative direction, or in the opposite direction of the positive direction on the position-time graph. The negative sign indicates a change in direction, not a decrease in speed.

5. What are the units for instantaneous velocity?

The units for instantaneous velocity are distance over time, such as meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h). The specific unit used will depend on the units used for distance and time on the position-time graph.