The concept of pressure

by Misr
Tags: concept, pressure
Share this thread:
Misr
Sep28-11, 02:52 PM
P: 391
hello world,
We are studing about static fluids and i can't introduce the concept of pressure to my mind
I can't imagine what is pressure?What is pressure at a point?I need images and iluustrations
could you suggest for me some simple tutorials and some pages to read in order to fully imagine what is pressure?
Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New complex oxides could advance memory devices
Nature's designs inspire research into new light-based technologies
UCI team is first to capture motion of single molecule in real time
Drakkith
Sep28-11, 05:55 PM
Mentor
P: 12,010
Are you wanting something for pressure in general, or specific for a fluid? A general example is to simply press down on your arm or to set something in your hand. For a fluid or gas the first picture in the following article seems like it might help. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure
HallsofIvy
Sep28-11, 07:30 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,682
Strictly speaking, "pressure" isn't defined at a point. The pressure on a region is the total force on that region divided by the area of the region. Of course, if the force is constant on the entire region, no matter what "sub region" we take, we would always get the same fraction and so could think of that as the pressure "at a point". If the force varies, you would have to use a "limit process" as is done in Calculus.

Misr
Sep29-11, 02:03 AM
P: 391
The concept of pressure

Are you wanting something for pressure in general, or specific for a fluid? A general example is to simply press down on your arm or to set something in your hand. For a fluid or gas the first picture in the following article seems like it might help. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure
Strictly speaking, "pressure" isn't defined at a point. The pressure on a region is the total force on that region divided by the area of the region. Of course, if the force is constant on the entire region, no matter what "sub region" we take, we would always get the same fraction and so could think of that as the pressure "at a point". If the force varies, you would have to use a "limit process" as is done in Calculus.

Register to reply