Register to reply

Stump the science teacher

by Dirkspink
Tags: science, stump, teacher
Share this thread:
Dirkspink
Nov21-04, 02:30 PM
P: 7
We're doing a science project, and we get major extra credit if we have a question in our project that he can't answer. He told us that his ''weakness'' would have to be physics. So does anyone have some questions i could ask that could stump an eighth frade science teacher? Anything at all?
THANKYOU
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Suddenly, the sun is eerily quiet: Where did the sunspots go?
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Mammoth and mastodon behavior was less roam, more stay at home
Dirkspink
Nov21-04, 02:31 PM
how about advanced terms and formulas? Modulus?
Gokul43201
Nov21-04, 02:39 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
I'm not sure if this is eighth grade material, but you might know about the demo that "proves" that sound needs air for propagation. You put a sound maker (like a ringing alarm clock) in a bell jar that's connected to a vacuum pump. If you start the pump and evacuate the container, the ringing becomes fainter and soon goes away. The "explanation" given is that when evacuated, there's no air in the jar, and hence, no way for the sound to travel.

But if you have a pressure guage connected to the jar, you can find the pressure at which the sound stops being heard. At this pressure, the mean molecular spacing is actually smaller than the typical audible wavelengths. So, then, at this pressure, sound should be able to travel. Yet, you can't hear it. Why ?

Dirkspink
Nov21-04, 03:00 PM
Stump the science teacher

ok. I like the question, but what is the answer? i need to know to get the A.
vsage
Nov21-04, 03:16 PM
P: n/a
Finding the effective resistance of odd objects is mathematically simple if you know how to manipulate them the right way. A few years ago someone asked me what the resistance of two opposite vertices of a Hypercube was given each side was a resistor of 1[tex]\Omega[/tex]. If you are a little clever and know how resistances are added, it's no more than an hour's work.
Physik
Nov21-04, 04:03 PM
P: 24
Use a quantum mechanics problem. I'm sure he doesn't know many, if any, formulae for it.
vsage
Nov21-04, 04:48 PM
P: n/a
Quote Quote by Physik
Use a quantum mechanics problem. I'm sure he doesn't know many, if any, formulae for it.
The catch is I think we have to convince the student how to do the problem too though!
Sirus
Nov21-04, 04:49 PM
P: 580
You could also ask him to derive the parallel axis theorem for a three-dimensional mass. That's good fun.
Physik
Nov21-04, 04:55 PM
Quote Quote by vsage
The catch is I think we have to convince the student how to do the problem too though!
He could use an easier QM formula.
OddThoughts
Nov21-04, 05:25 PM
P: 6
Here are a couple of simple problems that when people overthink them they are easily stumped.

1. If you have a room that is 100% thermally insulated at a comfortable temperature of say about 70 deg F, then you introduce a refrigerator into the room and it is running with the door open,,, after a long enough time for the room temp to stableize , ,did the temperature of the room decrease, increase, or stay the same as before the refrigerator was there? Why?

2. If you are in a small boat in a swimming pool and there is a bowling ball in the boat as well, and you toss the ball into the pool. Does the water level in the pool raise, lower, or stay the same? Why?
ek
Nov21-04, 05:30 PM
P: 186
He's a grade eight science teacher. It shouldn't be that hard to come up with something pretty simple he won't know.

How about asking him what Newton's second law is. He'll say [tex]\vec{F} = m\vec{a}[/tex] and you'll say, no, it's actually [tex]\vec{F} = m \vec{a} + \vec{v} \cdot \frac{dm}{dt}[/tex]

I think that might do the trick. Not hard to understand either.
Physik
Nov21-04, 05:34 PM
Just ask him to solve a projectile motion problem.
Dirkspink
Nov21-04, 05:37 PM
again, i love the problems, but i know absolutely NOTHING about QM or any kind of physics, so I need the answer to the problems, but thanks (especially ek)
Chronos
Nov21-04, 05:55 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,355
Place a drop of ink in a jar of glycerin. Slowly stir the mix until the ink drop dissipates. Slowly stir again in the opposite direction and the ink drop will reform. Ask teacher to explain what just happened.
Dissident Dan
Nov21-04, 05:58 PM
P: 691
Dirk, you can't just ask for other people to do your homework for you. You also have to pay. J/K.

Seriously, we can provide guidance, but we can't do your work for you. That's life.
Sirus
Nov21-04, 09:45 PM
P: 580
Dirk, the best way to find questions (and answers!) that your teacher won't be able to solve is to browse through some of the forums here. The college-level homework help forum will have some challenging questions, most of which we can explain to you so you understand the answer. Answering questions is why we're all here, and there are plenty of hard ones, so start browsing.
Dirkspink
Nov22-04, 06:28 PM
should have thought of that...thanks
Raza
Nov22-04, 07:54 PM
P: 208
we are giving him advice and suggestion

Register to reply