Relationship between frequency and tension on a string

by errorbars
Tags: frequency, relationship, string, tension
errorbars
Sep30-11, 09:51 PM
P: 3
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
In the experiment, a mass was attached to the string. Increasing mass was added, and the fundamental frequency for each mass was determined. I am trying to create a graph from the data, but I am finding that I am getting a linear graph between f1 (fundamental frequency) and m (mass added). The goal is to use the graph to find out the exponent so I can calculate the tension in the string, etc. It was hinted that it would be a power relationship. Am I doing something wrong?

2. Relevant equations
V= f * wavelength

3. The attempt at a solution
I have a linear graph that has a very very high R^2 value, but the logarithmic regression line that fits, but not as well as the linear graph. Is it possible that the fundamental frequency I recorded was actually a subharmonic? I have tried graphing it as frequency (hz) vs mass (g) and frequency (hz) vs mass (kg), with frequency as the y-axis and the mass as the x-axis. Thanks for any assistance!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA's space station Robonaut finally getting legs
Free the seed: OSSI nurtures growing plants without patent barriers
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
NascentOxygen
Sep30-11, 11:10 PM
HW Helper
P: 4,715
From google books it looks like f is proportional to the sqrt of tension.
http://www.physics.ryerson.ca/sites/...ndingWaves.pdf

Register to reply