Relationship between frequency and tension on a string

by errorbars
Tags: frequency, relationship, string, tension
Share this thread:
errorbars
Sep30-11, 09:51 PM
P: 3
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
In the experiment, a mass was attached to the string. Increasing mass was added, and the fundamental frequency for each mass was determined. I am trying to create a graph from the data, but I am finding that I am getting a linear graph between f1 (fundamental frequency) and m (mass added). The goal is to use the graph to find out the exponent so I can calculate the tension in the string, etc. It was hinted that it would be a power relationship. Am I doing something wrong?

2. Relevant equations
V= f * wavelength

3. The attempt at a solution
I have a linear graph that has a very very high R^2 value, but the logarithmic regression line that fits, but not as well as the linear graph. Is it possible that the fundamental frequency I recorded was actually a subharmonic? I have tried graphing it as frequency (hz) vs mass (g) and frequency (hz) vs mass (kg), with frequency as the y-axis and the mass as the x-axis. Thanks for any assistance!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
NascentOxygen
Sep30-11, 11:10 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,356
From google books it looks like f is proportional to the sqrt of tension.
http://www.physics.ryerson.ca/sites/...ndingWaves.pdf

Register to reply