Register to reply

Electrostatics - finding the total charge of a sphere with varying charge density

by iejedijuerijr
Tags: charge, density, electrostatics, sphere, varying
Share this thread:
iejedijuerijr
Oct2-11, 05:39 PM
P: 1
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I was given a sphere with radius R and a charge density function δ(r),where r is the distance from the center of the sphere. I want to find the total charge in the sphere.

2. Relevant equations

I know that Q = δV

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried integrating V ∫δ(r)dr over 0 to R, but I'm not sure that will give me the total charge, but am unsure that's the right way to go about this. is it? thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
An interesting glimpse into how future state-of-the-art electronics might work
Tissue regeneration using anti-inflammatory nanomolecules
C2D2 fighting corrosion
Tsunoyukami
Oct2-11, 06:23 PM
P: 207
I believe your approach is correct.

Just remember that when integrating from 0 to R in spherical coordinates your must remember to use the factors associated with this change of variable.

That is, I think you will want to integrate:

Q = [itex]\int^{2\pi}_{0}[/itex] [itex]\int^{\pi}_{0}[/itex] [itex]\int^{R}_{0}[/itex] [itex]\delta[/itex](r) r[itex]^{2}[/itex] sin[itex]\theta[/itex] dr d[itex]\theta[/itex] d[itex]\phi[/itex]

where Q is the total charge enclosed by the sphere and R is the radius of the sphere.

Register to reply