Tags: baking
Share this thread:
Moonbear
Nov21-04, 11:29 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,270
Does anyone else here like to bake? I rarely have time anymore, but this weekend I've gotten myself back into baking bread. I love bread fresh from the oven! Of course it takes all day (two days for the sourdough...though better if I have more time to let the starter ferment longer than overnight). That's why I've been online almost continuously today, just killing time in between rises and while the bread is baking.

Bread is one of my favorite things to bake. Kneading the dough is very soothing. But I also enjoy baking pretty much anything...cakes, cookies, pies, etc., and I enjoy eating those far more than the bread. I have yet to learn to make a good pastry dough.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Office life' of bacteria may be their weak spot
Lunar explorers will walk at higher speeds than thought
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief
check
Nov21-04, 11:33 PM
P: 275
I've only ever baked cookies once. As I recall, they were quite yummy. I'm just too lazy to bake things now. I'm more of frying pan sort of guy.
enigma
Nov21-04, 11:38 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,817
Quote Quote by Moonbear
But I also enjoy baking pretty much anything...cakes, cookies, pies, etc.,

Will you marry me?

Polly
Nov21-04, 11:43 PM
P: 342
Baking

Say YES Moonbear!!
Moonbear
Nov21-04, 11:47 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by enigma

Will you marry me?
Is that all it takes to find a husband? Maybe I should have listened to the advice in those 1950s home economics books afterall! Ah, but in case you proposed too hastily, I'll let you off the hook. As the folks in my lab know, you don't have to marry me to get those goodies, you can just come work with me...you don't think I keep my "girlish figure" by eating all that myself, do you?

PS- If you were serious in your offer of marriage, then we better hurry up and get hitched quickly if we want the honor of being the first PF wedding...I hear Evo and Humanino are contenders now that we've learned Humanino can do electrical work (poor tribdog is crushed at that news).
Moonbear
Nov21-04, 11:49 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by check
I've only ever baked cookies once. As I recall, they were quite yummy. I'm just too lazy to bake things now. I'm more of frying pan sort of guy.
[shakes head] Oh, no no no, poor misguided check...you can't fry cookies, they just don't turn out right at all! You really do have to bake them.
check
Nov22-04, 12:29 AM
Quote Quote by Moonbear
[shakes head] Oh, no no no, poor misguided check...you can't fry cookies, they just don't turn out right at all! You really do have to bake them.
But it's soo much easier! Plus you can make them on demand! Just keep some cookie dough/mix in the fridge and toss a scoop on the pan as needed.
franznietzsche
Nov22-04, 12:32 AM
P: 1,783
Quote Quote by check
But it's soo much easier! Plus you can make them on demand! Just keep some cookie dough/mix in the fridge and toss a scoop on the pan as needed.

ANYTHING is better fried.
check
Nov22-04, 12:34 AM
Quote Quote by franznietzsche
ANYTHING is better fried.
Agreed. That's why for the last couple of year's I've been asking for a deep fryer for xmas. LoL
franznietzsche
Nov22-04, 12:37 AM
Quote Quote by check
Agreed. That's why for the last couple of year's I've been asking for a deep fryer for xmas. LoL

Not a bad idea.

Don't boil your noodles,fry them and then add the powder fromthe Macn Cheese box!!!

Don't microwave the hot pocket, drop it into a deep fat fryer!!!

I can feel my life expectancy plummet as i type.
check
Nov22-04, 12:44 AM
Actually, a friend of mine sent me this a while ago: http://www.geocities.com/sistomaxhq/xxxmas.html that's where I got the idea from. LoL.
"Panda + deep fryer = porkchop"? LoL
ek
Nov22-04, 12:57 AM
P: 186
I like baking. I can make pretty good pies and pastries. My specialty though is cinnamon buns. The ones I make are SO good. For all the good things I make, my chocolate chip cookies never turn out right. It's really weird. I can make a great apple pie but I can't figure out simple cookies.

I've always liked cooking. Amidst all the physics, chemistry and math in high school I managed to take seven cooking classes in five years.
Moonbear
Nov22-04, 01:09 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Oooh, yummy, I love cinnamon buns, but never have the patience to make them from scratch! I don't think you can go wrong with the Tollhouse cookie recipe on the package of Nestle's chocolate chips. I've tried other recipes, but they are never as good.
ek
Nov22-04, 01:30 AM
P: 186
Quote Quote by Moonbear
Oooh, yummy, I love cinnamon buns, but never have the patience to make them from scratch! I don't think you can go wrong with the Tollhouse cookie recipe on the package of Nestle's chocolate chips. I've tried other recipes, but they are never as good.
I usually make the cinnamon buns when I have a day where I'm doing nothing all day (VERY rare). It takes a long time but I make a lot of them so me and my family can pig out. I'll start them in the morning then just forget about the dough as it rises until the evening when I actually bake them. It's a long process, but definately worth it.
Moonbear
Nov22-04, 01:41 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by ek
I usually make the cinnamon buns when I have a day where I'm doing nothing all day (VERY rare). It takes a long time but I make a lot of them so me and my family can pig out. I'll start them in the morning then just forget about the dough as it rises until the evening when I actually bake them. It's a long process, but definately worth it.
I can do that with bread, but with cinnamon buns, when I get to craving one of those, I can't wait a day to eat it.
franznietzsche
Nov22-04, 05:05 AM
Quote Quote by Moonbear
I can do that with bread, but with cinnamon buns, when I get to craving one of those, I can't wait a day to eat it.
But waiting makes it taste ten times better.

It also makes you foam at the mouth and go insane though...Is there a compromise?
Smurf
Nov22-04, 06:04 AM
P: 2,891
Yeah, it's called cookie dough.
franznietzsche
Nov22-04, 06:05 AM
Quote Quote by Smurf
Yeah, it's called cookie dough.
Problem solved.

Register to reply