F(x) = x if x is rational, 0 if x is irrational.

In summary, no matter what value you pick for \lim_{x \to c} f(x), there is some \epsilon>0 but no \delta>0 that satisfies the definition of the limit.
Mjjellen

Homework Statement

F(x) = x if x is rational, 0 if x is irrational.
Use the δ, ε definition of the limit to prove that lim(x→0)f(x)=0.
Use the δ, ε definition of the limit to prove that lim(x→a)f(x) does not exist for any a≠0.

Homework Equations

lim(x→a)f(x)=L
0<|x-a|<δ, |f(x)-L|<ε

The Attempt at a Solution

I was mostly having troubles writing my initial equation, I was stumped very early on by filling in the values for the epsilon part of the equation, if that's how one is supposed to go by this problem. If not, any other advice that can be given to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
For the limit as x → 0 :
For rational numbers, f(x) = x.
What does δ need to be so that if 0 < |x - 0| < δ , then |f(x) - 0| < ε ?

For irrational numbers, any δ will work. Why?
So, use the same δ you pick for the rationals.

Do you know how to show that limx → ag(x) doesn't exist, in general? Of course using δ, ε .

I have the exact same exercise and i cannot prove the second part
"Use the δ, ε definition of the limit to prove that lim(x→a)f(x) does not exist for any a≠0."

I was wondering if anyone could help me with that

Thank you in advance

Assuming a limit did exist, would that lead to any contradictions?

Yes, i think that i must assume that the limit exists,lets say that it is L.
The problem is that i don't know what i have to do next.
Probably i will have to work with to different cases,one if x is rational and
one if x is irrational.Another problem is that I don't know what ε Ι have to use
in order to get to the contradiction.

Show that no matter what value L you pick as [itex]\lim_{x \to c} f(x)[/itex] means that you can find some [itex]\epsilon>0[/itex] but you cannot find a [itex]\delta>0[/itex] that satisfies the definition of the limit.

1. What is the purpose of the function f(x)?

The purpose of the function f(x) is to define a rule for how to output a value based on the input, specifically for rational and irrational numbers. This function can help in understanding the concept of rational and irrational numbers and how they are related to each other.

2. What is the domain and range of the function f(x)?

The domain of the function f(x) is all real numbers, as it can take in any input regardless of whether it is rational or irrational. The range is limited to only two values, 0 and the input value itself, depending on whether the input is rational or irrational.

3. How does the function f(x) handle irrational numbers?

The function f(x) sets the output to 0 when the input is irrational. This means that any irrational value will result in an output of 0. This is because irrational numbers cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers, so the function sets the output to 0 as a way to handle this type of input.

4. Can the function f(x) be graphed?

Yes, the function f(x) can be graphed. It will result in a discontinuous graph with a line at 0 for all irrational inputs and a line with a slope of 1 passing through the origin for all rational inputs. However, the graph may not be an accurate representation of the function as it would be impossible to plot every single irrational number on a graph.

5. How is the function f(x) useful in science?

The function f(x) can be useful in understanding the concept of rational and irrational numbers, which are often used in many scientific fields. It can also be used to model real-life situations where rational and irrational numbers are involved, such as in physics, chemistry, and economics.