Register to reply

Electrical resistance of flattened (smashed) wire?

by tinkeringone
Tags: electrical, flattened, resistance, smashed, wire
Share this thread:
tinkeringone
Oct4-11, 03:55 PM
P: 14
Can anyone tell me what happens to the electrical resistance of solid copper wire, i.e. #4 gauge, (about .21" in diameter) uninsulated solid copper wire when you flatten it, i.e. with a hammer?

I'm going to insert that wire inside a piece 1 3/8" diameter copper pipe, and smash the pipe over the wire to try to spread out the mutual contact area as much as possible. The application (a homemade spot welder) requires as close to zero resistance as possible between that very short length of #4 wire and the 1 3/8" diameter pipe. (It's for 1.2 volts at about 1500 amps. The unsmashed end of the solid wire will be the electrode tip, and the 1 3/8" diameter pipe will be the electrical tong it connects to.)

I just can't seem to figure out if the resistance of a copper conductor would increase or decrease when you mash it.

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Amazon worker piloted drone around Space Needle
Five next-generation technologies for positioning, navigation and timing
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
psparky
Oct5-11, 07:33 AM
PF Gold
P: 730
#4 wire can carry 1500 amps? You sure about that?

As far as smashing it, I don't think it would lesser or increase resistance.

Area is area......in my opinion.
NascentOxygen
Oct5-11, 10:52 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,142
Even if workhardening copper does increase its resistance a tad, I reckon it will get well annealed during welding operations!

Register to reply