Register to reply

Adding Spheres: How to find the new radius?

by Goatsenator
Tags: adding, radius, spheres
Share this thread:
Goatsenator
Oct5-11, 11:35 PM
P: 20
Okay this seems like a really simple question. Basically I'm adding together 8 spheres (like raindrops coalescing into one bigger drop) and I'm getting two different answers for the new radius.

Each individual drop is identical.

I start by expressing the new volume in terms of the individual drops' radii, and then the new radius. The individual drops' radii are R.

Volume = (4/3)∏(R)^3 * 8 = (4/3)pi(Rf)^3

I work it all out and find that the new radius is 2 times the radius of an individual drop. This is true according to a solution given.

But when I try this with surface area....

S.A. = 4∏(R)^2 * 8 = 4∏(Rf)^2

4∏ cancels,
then the new radius comes out as R*2*√(2)

What am I missing here? Is Surface area not additive, or am I making some calculation error?
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
'Moral victories' might spare you from losing again
Fair cake cutting gets its own algorithm
Effort to model Facebook yields key to famous math problem (and a prize)
Mute
Oct6-11, 07:45 AM
HW Helper
P: 1,391
Surface area is not additive. Imagine if you took two rectangular prisms and joined them together at a common side: each rectangular prism has lost a side to the interior of the combined object, so the surface area is NOT double the surface area of an individual block. The case with the spheres is similar. The volume should be additive, however. The reason is that, thinking physically, the mass of all the spheres is conserved, so unless the density were to change during the process of joining the droplets together, the volume increases by the same factor as the increase in mass.
Goatsenator
Oct6-11, 08:32 AM
P: 20
Oh, okay that makes sense. How did I make it this far? lol Thanks for the help!

HallsofIvy
Oct6-11, 04:42 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,339
Adding Spheres: How to find the new radius?

Two raindrops, each of radius r, have volume [itex](4/3)\pi r^3[/itex] each. If they "coalesce", because mass is conserved, and the density of water is a constant, the volume will be [itex](8/3)\pi r^3[/itex]. Solve [itex](4/3)\pi R^3= (8/3)\pi r^3[/itex] for the new radius, R.
noobilly
Oct10-11, 11:09 PM
P: 23
Surface area doesn't grow proportionately to volume, hence Bergmann's rule.
Number Nine
Oct10-11, 11:26 PM
P: 772
Volume is additive. Add the volumes and derive the radius.

Register to reply