Solve for charge(q), given radius, electric field, and density

In summary, using Millikan's experiment and given values of radius, density, electric field, and gravitational constant, the charge on the oil drop was found to be -8 times the magnitude of the charge of an electron, with a tolerance of +/- 2%. This was calculated by rearranging equations and plugging in the values, resulting in a final charge of -8.
Lemon-Sam

Homework Statement

In Millikan's experiment, an oil drop of radius 1.73 μm and density 0.865 g/cm3 is suspended in chamber C when a downward electric field of 1.44 × 105 N/C is applied. Find the charge on the drop, in terms of e. (Tolerance of solution is +/- 2%)

Known:

radius, r = 1.73 μm x 10-6 m

density, σ = 0.865 x 103 kg/m3

Electric field, E = 1.44 × 105 N/C

magnitude of charge of electron, e = 1.6 x 10-19

gravitational constant, g = 9.8 m/s2

Homework Equations

1. Force due to electric field: F = -qE

2. Mass of the drop, m = (4pi/3)*r3

3. Force of gravity, F = mg = (4/3)*pi*r3*σ*g

The Attempt at a Solution

(1) I rearranged equations (1) & (3) from above to solve for q, thus:

q = (-4*pi*r3*σ*g)/3E

(2) I then plugged in the given values:

q = [-4*pi*(1.73 x 10-6m)3*0.865 x 103 kg/m3*9.8 m/s2]/(3*1.44 x 105 N/C)

= -1.28 x 10-18 C

(3) Now, to put the solution in terms of e, I divided my result from (2) by the magnitude of charge of electron, e:

q = (-1.28 x 10-18 C/1.6 x 10-19 C)(1e)

= -8e C

However, my answer is incorrect, and I'm not sure why. I also tried to reverse the sign of my solution, but that was incorrect as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
using the data I am getting

[tex]q=-3.83\times 10^{-18}\;\mathrm{C}[/tex]

check math

I checked the math again, and it turns out that the correct result was just -8, instead of -8e. Thank you for your reply, Issac.

1. How do you calculate the charge given the radius, electric field, and density?

To solve for charge (q), you can use the formula q = 4/3 * pi * r^3 * E * p, where r is the radius, E is the electric field, and p is the density.

2. Can the charge be negative or positive?

Yes, the charge can be both negative and positive. Negative charge indicates an excess of electrons, while positive charge indicates a lack of electrons.

3. What are the units for charge, radius, electric field, and density?

Charge is measured in coulombs (C), radius is measured in meters (m), electric field is measured in newtons per coulomb (N/C), and density is measured in kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m^3).

4. How does the electric field and density affect the charge?

The electric field and density have a direct effect on the charge. The higher the electric field and density, the higher the charge will be.

5. Can you solve for the charge if one of the variables is unknown?

No, all four variables (charge, radius, electric field, and density) are needed in order to solve for the charge. If one variable is unknown, the charge cannot be calculated.