Register to reply

What magnitude of force must the worker apply?

by blackandyello
Tags: friction, work
Share this thread:
blackandyello
Oct10-11, 04:13 AM
P: 11
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A factory worker pushes a 30.0-kg crate a distance of 4.5. along a level floor at constant speed by pushing horizontally on it. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the crate and the floor is 0.25. (a) What magnitude of force must the worker apply?

2. Relevant equations

summation of F x forces = 0

frictional force = coefficient of fric * normal force

3. The attempt at a solution

Hello, my solution is this

since the frictional force and the force of the worker in the x direction are equal,

fric force = 0.25 * 9.8 * 30 kg

fric force = 73.5 NEWTONS

so to find the magnitude of the force that the worker apply, we simply use trigonometric ratios.

cos (30) = 73.5 / r

r = 84.87 newtons

my answer is 84.87, but the answer in the book is 99.2 newtons. can you tell me where did i go wrong? tnx
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
georgir
Oct10-11, 06:52 AM
P: 131
why cos(30) ? you never mentioned in your formulation of the problem that there are any angles other than 90 degree.
blackandyello
Oct12-11, 08:53 AM
P: 11
Hello, im referreing to question 6.4a, (the one in black pen)

http://i55.tinypic.com/2e2md0z.jpg

tnx. ive tried my best but where did i go wrong? whats ur answer?

Redbelly98
Oct12-11, 09:07 AM
Mentor
P: 12,068
What magnitude of force must the worker apply?

Quote Quote by blackandyello View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A factory worker pushes a 30.0-kg crate a distance of 4.5. along a level floor at constant speed by pushing horizontally on it. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the crate and the floor is 0.25. (a) What magnitude of force must the worker apply?

2. Relevant equations

summation of F x forces = 0

frictional force = coefficient of fric * normal force

3. The attempt at a solution

Hello, my solution is this

since the frictional force and the force of the worker in the x direction are equal,

fric force = 0.25 * 9.8 * 30 kg

fric force = 73.5 NEWTONS

so to find the magnitude of the force that the worker apply, we simply use trigonometric ratios.

cos (30) = 73.5 / r

r = 84.87 newtons

my answer is 84.87, but the answer in the book is 99.2 newtons. can you tell me where did i go wrong? tnx
This is confusing because you posted Question 6.3(a), but show your work for 6.4 which is different because of the 30 degree downward angle of the worker's force.

The normal force is not simply the weight of the crate here. To work through a problem like this, you need to:

1. Draw a diagram showing all forces on the crate. Remember that the force from the worker is at an angle, not along the horizontal as it was in problem 6.3.

2. Set up two equations, using ƩFx=0 and ƩFy=0. Remember to separate the worker's force into components using sin and cos.

See if you can at least get that far, and if you're still stuck then post your work here for us to look at.
georgir
Oct12-11, 09:53 AM
P: 131
Indeed, when the worker is pushing downwards, he is increasing the weight of the crate and so the friction force as well.

Register to reply