Difference of electric potential between the axis of the cylinder and its surface?

In summary, the conversation discussed a piece of a cylinder with infinite length and radius R, charged with a uniform and positive volumetric density of charge p. The following computations were made: a) The difference of electric potential between the axis and surface of the cylinder was calculated using the formula V(A)-V(B)= ∫ E*dr, with A and B points set as 0 and R respectively. b) The work to carry a charge q from the axis to the surface of the cylinder was uncertain, as the correct formula to use was unclear. c) The electric potential of a point on the surface of the cylinder was not able to be computed, as the formula V=W/Q requires the value of W which was
ashe540
We have a piece of a cylinder of infinite length and radius R, charged with a uniform and positive volumetric density of charge p.
Compute:

a) Difference of electric potential between the axis of the cylinder and its surface.

b) Work to carry a charge q from the axis to the surface of the cylinder. Is this work done by the forces of the electric field, or is it external to the field forces?

c) Compute the electric potential of a point on the surface of the cylinder (this potential could be computed as the difference of potential between such point and the infinite). But this potential can not be computed. Why is it not possible to compute the potential on a point, but it´s possible to compute differences of potential in this problem?a) What I did was using the difference of electric potential formula
*********A******
V(A)-V(B)= ∫ E*dr **
********* B *****

I set the A and B points as 0 (for the axis which I took as the origin) and R as the surface. Then I pulled E out of the integral because it´s constant and integrated dr. I´m not sure if this is the right way about doing it.

b) As for the work I wasn´t sure what to do here. I never have clear which formula to use for which cases. Whether W=qEd or W=q* [V(A)-V(B)]

c) I started thinking about it and I was thinking that maybe it had something to do with the fact that given the formula V=W/Q , that W is not given. Does this have anything to do with it?

Help please, I'm really lost

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

where did you get the idea that E was uniform at different radii?
E.A = E 2πrL = 4πk (rho)πr^2L , so the E increases with radius.

1. What is the difference of electric potential between the axis of the cylinder and its surface?

The difference of electric potential, also known as voltage, between the axis of the cylinder and its surface depends on the electric field and the distance from the axis. It can be calculated using the formula V = -E*d, where V is the potential difference, E is the electric field strength, and d is the distance from the axis.

2. How does the difference of electric potential change with distance from the axis of the cylinder?

The difference of electric potential decreases as the distance from the axis increases. This is because the electric field strength decreases with distance, causing a decrease in the potential difference between the axis and the surface of the cylinder.

3. Can the difference of electric potential be negative?

Yes, the difference of electric potential can be negative if the electric field points in the opposite direction of the distance. This means that the potential decreases as the distance increases.

4. What factors affect the difference of electric potential between the axis of the cylinder and its surface?

The main factors that affect the difference of electric potential are the electric field strength and the distance from the axis. Other factors such as the material and shape of the cylinder can also play a role in determining the potential difference.

5. How is the difference of electric potential related to electric potential energy?

The difference of electric potential between two points is directly proportional to the electric potential energy. As the potential difference increases, so does the potential energy. This relationship is described by the formula U = q*V, where U is the potential energy, q is the charge, and V is the potential difference.