Fresnel equations at normal incidence

In summary, the conversation discusses the Fresnel equations at normal incidence and the reflection coefficients for perpendicular and parallel polarizations. The question arises as to whether the two equations should give the same result at normal incidence, and the conversation discusses the different sign conventions used for the two polarizations. It is suggested that the difference in phase between the electric and magnetic components of the reflected wave is the reason for the opposite signs in the reflection coefficients. An alternative convention is proposed, but it is concluded that the sign convention is just a matter of convention.
brianpile
Hello everybody, I have a question about the Fresnel equations at normal incidence. My textbook gives the reflection coefficients as:

(1) perpendicular polarization

rs=( n1*cos(theta1)-n2*cos(theta2) ) / ( n1*cos(theta1)+n2*cos(theta2) )

(2) parallel polarization

rp=( n2*cos(theta1)-n1*cos(theta2) ) / ( n1*cos(theta1)+n2*cos(theta2) )

Now, to me, it seems that for normal incidence on a dielectric interface, the polarization loses its meaning since neither the E- or H-fields have components normal to the surface. Put another way, the plane of incidence has lost its meaning. In this case, shouldn't the 2 Fresnel equations for reflection give the same result? If you put 0 degrees into those two equations they have opposite signs. What gives?

I'm probably spending too much time think about this, but any help making sense of this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Brian

Physics news on Phys.org
Wow, I didn't consider this aspect! Thank you for pointing this out! I'm studying these things right now.

Well, I think that you are right, the plane of incidence loses its meaning.
THOUGH, the thing here maybe another one - I say maybe because I've been thinking of it for 10 minutes, but as it makes sense to me I'll write it here.
The information from the reflection coefficients is not only about the amplitude of the reflected wave, but also about its phase.
Now, despite the lacking of a plane of incidence, at normal incidence the coefficients still have to tell you that the electric component has a 180° phase shift, while the magnetic one don't. This is why, I think, you get that the coefficients are opposite: as you say, there is no difference as regards the plane of incidence (the amplitudes of the reflected wave are the same), but there is still a difference in the phase of the reflected wave.

I think this is the explanation. I'm not sure, but it makes sense.Hope it is clear.

Welcome to PF.

It's a matter of the sign conventions used for the two polarizations.

For parallel polarization, rp is positive when E has an upward component for both the incident and reflected beams:

gsed_0001_0028_0_img8854.png

If you imagine the angle of incidence approaching zero (normal incidence case), this means that the incident and reflected electric fields are actually pointing in opposite directions.

For perpendicular polarization, rs is positive when E is in the same direction for both the incident and reflected beams. Changing the angle of incidence does not change the direction of E.

Ok I see, thanks RedBelly. So to be consistent between the two polarizations, I should define the p-polarization as positive when the magnetic field receives a pi phase shift (and therefore the E-field does not).

I don't think that's right. In the figure I posted earlier, B would point in the same direction -- up, out of the page -- for both the incident and reflected waves.

Right, I wasn't clear. If we defined the case when the H-field does change direction upon reflection (n1>n2) then the situation looks like this.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1505234/Fresnel%20Eqs%20-%20p-polariozation.bmp

and the boundary condition for the magnetic field would be Bi-Br=Bt. I think this change allows the signs of the reflection coefficients agree at normal incidence...like you said, just a convention.

Last edited by a moderator:

What are Fresnel equations?

Fresnel equations are a set of equations that describe the reflection and transmission of light at the interface between two different media. They were first derived by French physicist Augustin-Jean Fresnel in the early 19th century.

What happens to light at normal incidence?

At normal incidence, or when light hits the interface between two media at a 90 degree angle, the light is either fully reflected or fully transmitted. The amount of reflection and transmission depends on the refractive indices of the two media.

What are the two types of Fresnel equations?

The two types of Fresnel equations are the parallel-polarized (p-polarized) Fresnel equation, which describes the behavior of light with an electric field parallel to the plane of incidence, and the perpendicular-polarized (s-polarized) Fresnel equation, which describes the behavior of light with an electric field perpendicular to the plane of incidence.

How do the refractive indices of the two media affect the reflection and transmission of light?

The greater the difference in refractive indices between the two media, the greater the amount of reflection and the lower the amount of transmission. This is because the light has a harder time transitioning between the two media with a larger difference in refractive indices.

What applications do Fresnel equations have?

Fresnel equations are used in a wide range of applications, including optics, telecommunications, and solar energy. They are also important in understanding the behavior of light in various materials, such as in the study of thin films and coatings.