Energy saved from line drying clothes

In summary, to accurately calculate the cost savings of line-drying clothes in a well-insulated apartment, you will need to consider factors such as energy costs, drying time, and the impact of evaporated water on the apartment's temperature. The size of the apartment, type of insulation, and outdoor temperature will also play a role in the calculation.
pikiche
Hey everyone,
Im trying to calculate how much money can you save by line drying clothes inside a well isolated apartment instead of using an electrical dryer. I just need a kick start on what i need to take in consideration. the apartment has an ac and heater for summer and winter, and the apartment is at 75 F. I know that when the water is going to evaporate from the clothes and probably make the apartment cooler, i don't if the temperature change is going to be small enough to the point where it could be ignored. I also know that we need to calculate the work done by the A/C unit since the water evaporating has to be condensed. Any help will be much appreciated

Engineering news on Phys.org
. Thanks in advance</code>To calculate the money saved by line-drying clothes, you will need to consider the following factors:The cost of electricity for an electric dryerThe amount of time it takes to line-dry clothesThe amount of energy required to cool and/or heat the air in the apartment to compensate for the evaporated water from the clothes.To estimate the energy required to cool and/or heat the air in the apartment, you will need to consider the following factors:The size of the apartmentThe type of insulation usedThe temperature outside the apartmentThe amount of water evaporated from the clothesYou can then use these estimates to calculate the amount of energy (in kWh) required to maintain a comfortable temperature in the apartment and compare it to the cost of running an electric dryer.

1. How much energy can be saved by line drying clothes?

According to the U.S. Department of Energy, using a clothesline instead of a dryer can save up to 700 kWh of energy per year for the average household.

2. Is line drying clothes better for the environment?

Yes, line drying clothes is better for the environment because it reduces the energy usage and carbon emissions associated with using a dryer.

3. What types of clothing are best suited for line drying?

Nearly all types of clothing can be line dried, but fabrics that dry quickly such as cotton, linen, and synthetic materials are best suited for line drying.

4. Does line drying clothes save money?

Yes, line drying clothes can save money on electricity or gas bills, as well as on the wear and tear of a dryer which can lead to costly repairs or replacements.

5. Can line drying clothes affect the quality of the clothing?

No, line drying clothes does not affect the quality of the clothing as long as they are hung properly and not exposed to extreme weather conditions. In fact, line drying can even help preserve the colors and fabrics of clothing better than using a dryer.