by JosephK
Tags: carrying, current, exerting, force, magnetic, wire
Share this thread:
JosephK
Oct29-11, 10:24 PM
P: 40
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
Figure is attached.

A thin copper bar of length = 14.0 cm is supported horizontally by two (nonmagnetic) contacts. The bar carries current I1 = 105 A in the -x direction, as shown in the figure below. At a distance h = 0.500 cm below one end of the bar, a long straight wire carries a current I2 = 200 A in the z direction. Determine the magnitude and direction of the magnetic force exerted on the bar.

2. Relevant equations

I = μI/2∏r
F = IL X B

3. The attempt at a solution

By the Biot-Savart Law, a magnetic field is created by a current carrying wire. Because the wire carries a current I, there is a magnetic field in the region. Since the wire is long, we may assume infinite length. The magnetic field of an infinite wire length r away we calculated B = μI/2∏r.

From the classroom demonstration we learned a current carrying wire in a magnetic field experiences a magnetic force. The magnetic force is perpendicular to both current element ds and B. The force experienced by the rod is F = ILXB. Since B varies over the length of the bar, we need to integrate. Also, the appropriate equation to use is dF = I dsXB since the angle between ds and B vary as well. After combining the equation for B and replacing theta in terms of r and integrating should I have the answer?

2. Relevant equations

2. Relevant equations

Attached Thumbnails
p30-52.gif  
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye