Therapeutic uses for hallucinogens?

by Ryan_m_b
Tags: hallucinogens, therapeutic
Share this thread:
rhody
Dec22-11, 07:01 PM
PF Gold
P: 765
I stumbled across this while researching something else, which often happens.
Circumventricular organs (CVO) are so named because they are positioned at distinct sites around the margin of the ventricular system of the brain.

They are among the few sites in the brain which have an incomplete blood–brain barrier. As a result, neurons located in circumventricular organs can directly sense the concentrations of various compounds, particularly peptide hormones, in the bloodstream, without the need for specialized transport systems which move those compounds across the blood–brain barrier.
Here are two videos on the lateral ventricular system:

lateral ventrical part 1

lateral ventrical part 2

Do the neurons in the circumventricular organs sense (or process) the concentrations of LSD and if so, do they do it "without the need for specialized transport systems which move those compounds across the blood–brain barrier" ? If so, do they then contribute to the effects that one experiences ? Or must LSD really cross the blood brain barrier in order to produce its effects ?

Rhody... I bet some of you thought I had given up the search into the transport, delivery and absorption of this compound, not a chance...

Register to reply