AlephZero
Nov10-11, 03:53 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 6,356
Quote Quote by FlexGunship View Post
Should I be leaving the TV on while I'm at work? Would that help her not feel lonely? I have no idea if she is lonely, but I would be.
Cats are naturally nocturnal animals. Given warmth and shelter, they are quite content to sleep all day.

Pixel will soon figure out where is the warmest place in the apartment (apart from yourself!), at which point your best option for a quiet life is just let her "live" there and reorganize the rest of the house for human use.
rhody
Nov10-11, 04:53 PM
PF Gold
P: 765
Should I be leaving the TV on while I'm at work? Would that help her not feel lonely? I have no idea if she is lonely, but I would be.
Quote Quote by AlephZero View Post
Cats are naturally nocturnal animals. Given warmth and shelter, they are quite content to sleep all day.

Pixel will soon figure out where is the warmest place in the apartment (apart from yourself!), at which point your best option for a quiet life is just let her "live" there and reorganize the rest of the house for human use.
I wouldn't sweat the TV or radio, Flex, Aleph is right, being left alone they alternate between sleeping and eating and patrolling their territory, that's their job and they are damn good at it. If you have any bugs or crawly things scurrying about, you won't for long. Don't forget about changing the litter with a scoop to filter it every two days, you want to start on a good foot. Be aware of things that might disagree with her. My cat eats dry food, dry treats with occasional table scraps, small amounts. Since she is long haired, think about hairball food as well, you will find them about when she coughs them up. Not to worry, no big deal. As for toys, stuff you make and invent is just as good as store bought stuff. I made an aluminum ball out of tin foil and get a lot of mileage out of that.

She will sharpen her little claws on carpets, etc... you can't stop it, usually when she is having a cat crazy moment when running around the house like being chased or chasing an imaginary predator. A loud "No" with a stomp of your foot will usually stop the scratching. I have posts where she can scratch if she wants. You can buy trimmers to trim the needle sharp claws, but if she is going outdoors I would suggest not doing it. That is her only form of defense, in addition to being able to launch herself four feet off the ground when frightened. I know people who have declawed their cats. I think it is cruel personally, would never do it myself. If ripping up furniture becomes a problem, you can install an electric fence indoors. I am told they work well, however, I don't need one myself.

Aleph is right about finding warm spots too. If my heat mats for plants are exposed, she will skootch in to protect my pepper plants. Not that the hottest pepper plants need any protecting, they can fend for themselves quite nicely.

Oh yeah, you being a techie guy, they love laser pointers, you can be sure Pixel's cerebral cortex is properly programmed with horizontal and vertical movements of the pointer (healthy cat brain).

That's it for now. Here is a video for a few laughs... It's old, but the audio makes it worthwhile.

Funny Cats

Rhody...
TylerH
Nov10-11, 06:15 PM
P: 737
You should get some catnip and see how your cat reacts. Not all cats respond to it, and even most that do don't go entirely crazy, but you never know.
FlexGunship
Nov11-11, 08:19 AM
PF Gold
P: 735
Quote Quote by Stephen Tashi View Post
So she's long haired. Does she have thick legs and big feet? I'm cat sitting such a cat - a Norwegian Forrest cat. They are very talkative.

I doubt TV will keep a cat company. Cats have exceptional hearing. It might mask sounds that disturb her if there are any.

Does she have a good "perch" in front of a window? Most cats like to look out windows, especially if they can see other animals outside. Don't open the window unless you're sure she won't claw through the screen. The ideal window perch would also be a place where she would feel hidden.
She doesn't have thick legs or big feet, and other than one yelp when she ran from the sound of heat (take that thermodynamics) she's never said a single word.

I bought a simple cat cave with a bed on top the day I got her and placed it next to the window part of the sliding glass door that leads to the patio. I have chipmunks that run through there so she should be entertained.

Quote Quote by Math Is Hard View Post
Hey Flex, have you seen these Cat Exercise Wheels? I always wanted to build one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_2qY...eature=related
Hmm, no... looks more like someone's cray idea for perpetual motion. "You just put the cat in here..."

Quote Quote by AlephZero View Post

She hasn't really picked a place. I've decided the sound of the front door frightens her. I can usually find her hiding upstairs under a wooden plank (not comfy or cozy, and not even well protected), or under my bed (well protected, but doesn't seem comfy, maybe cozy). She'll come trotting out though if she realizes its me walking around. If I'm around, then her favorite place is either on the stairs, in front of the TV, or directly under my feet.

Quote Quote by rhody View Post
I wouldn't sweat the TV or radio, Flex, Aleph is right, being left alone they alternate between sleeping and eating and patrolling their territory, that's their job and they are damn good at it. If you have any bugs or crawly things scurrying about, you won't for long. Don't forget about changing the litter with a scoop to filter it every two days, you want to start on a good foot. Be aware of things that might disagree with her. My cat eats dry food, dry treats with occasional table scraps, small amounts. Since she is long haired, think about hairball food as well, you will find them about when she coughs them up. Not to worry, no big deal. As for toys, stuff you make and invent is just as good as store bought stuff. I made an aluminum ball out of tin foil and get a lot of mileage out of that.
I left the radio on today. She just enjoys watching TV with me so much that I can't help but think she gets something out of it. I ordered some Baby Einstein DVDs for her (kidding). If I sit down for Dirty Jobs, she'll come to my lap for some petting, but ultimately set up camp on the arm of the chair and just watch. She doesn't attack the screen, or get startled by noises... she just watches. We watched the whole lightning-rod-installer episode together.

I've been cleaning her box after every, uh, incident. She's very polite about not scattering the litter everywhere, so I try to be polite about keeping it clean for her. I wouldn't want to use a half-flushed toilet; especially if I had to stand in it to use it. Besides, she's just barely learning to use it (at 4 months old) so I don't want to give her any excuse not to.

She looooooves her ball. An aluminum foil ball might even be better! I have a video of us playing fetch that I'll share in my next post.

She will sharpen her little claws on carpets, etc... you can't stop it, usually when she is having a cat crazy moment when running around the house like being chased or chasing an imaginary predator. A loud "No" with a stomp of your foot will usually stop the scratching. I have posts where she can scratch if she wants. You can buy trimmers to trim the needle sharp claws, but if she is going outdoors I would suggest not doing it. That is her only form of defense, in addition to being able to launch herself four feet off the ground when frightened. I know people who have declawed their cats. I think it is cruel personally, would never do it myself. If ripping up furniture becomes a problem, you can install an electric fence indoors. I am told they work well, however, I don't need one myself.
I'm not worried about her claws, she's been doing fine with the scratching post I've given her. We have had a few incidents, but I think some of them are because her claws aren't long enough to actually help her climb. She sort of scrambles up the side of the sofa. Every time she does it, she has the goal of getting to the top, so I don't bother punishing her for it.

I clap my hands loudly if she's doing something I want to discourage. The only bad behavior she really has is she plays with the tag on my subwoofer power cable which I think is dangerous. I clap my hands to stop her, wait for her to run (or sulk) away, and then give her a toy to play with instead.

I don't want her to think playing is bad, I want her to think playing with that specific tag is bad.

I have absolutely no plans to declaw Pixel ever, but I specifically avoided the Cocheco Valley Humane Society because you must sign a form promising never to declaw your cat if it's adopted from there. Just my stupid libertarian ideals... it's going to be my decision not to declaw her.

Aleph is right about finding warm spots too. If my heat mats for plants are exposed, she will skootch in to protect my pepper plants. Not that the hottest pepper plants need any protecting, they can fend for themselves quite nicely.

Oh yeah, you being a techie guy, they love laser pointers, you can be sure Pixel's cerebral cortex is properly programmed with horizontal and vertical movements of the pointer (healthy cat brain).

Rhody...
Maybe I should get something then, there's really no "warm spots" in my condo. I leave the curtain open a little which warms the floor in the morning, but does nothing in the evening. I have a laser pointer, but it's... hardcore... I wouldn't want to risk burning her little kitty paws or retinas. I'll buy a few cheap ones from Wal*Mart next time.

Quote Quote by TylerH View Post
You should get some catnip and see how your cat reacts. Not all cats respond to it, and even most that do don't go entirely crazy, but you never know.
I think one of her shelter toys had catnip in it. It wasn't my plan to give it to her until she was comfortable in the house. I hate being dragged to an unknown place and drugged.
FlexGunship
Nov11-11, 09:07 AM
PF Gold
We normally play with me out of sight, but for the purpose of the video I had to be seen. If you look at 1:05, that's usually how we play. I think she was putting on a show for the camera wrestling the ball all the way down the steps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST6ZgmssPn8

No need to watch past 1:30 or so... it was just hard to turn off the camera while still playing.
FlexGunship
Nov11-11, 09:12 AM
PF Gold
Look at this product:

Product Features
  • Modular & Expandable - Unlimited Designs
  • Easy Assembly
  • Easy Cleaning - Machine Washable Parts
  • Sturdy & Lightweight - Easy to Move
  • Replaceable Pieces
We ordered this yesterday. I can honestly say Pixel was the one who finalized the order.
rhody
Nov11-11, 10:04 AM
PF Gold
She just enjoys watching TV with me so much that I can't help but think she gets something out of it. I ordered some Baby Einstein DVDs for her (kidding).
that one just kills me... (kidding)

BTW. The link for your video appears to be broken, at least for me. Luna does not care for TV at all, nor does she meow loudly, like the cat Turbo mentioned, she is a mellow, sometimes bordering on timid, but very sweet. Heat mats for plants work great too (for cat couch), especially in the winter on cold floors, you could put a small cat bed on top of it as well.

Rhody...
Stephen Tashi
Nov11-11, 10:15 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,175
Heat mats for plants work great too (for cat couch), especially in the winter on cold floors, you could put a small cat bed on top of it as well.
I haven't ever seen a heat mat for plants, but I've seen electric blankets and other types of "warmers" for people. Their directions warn not to put things over them. Are the plant heat mats safe for putting under towels and blankets?
rhody
Nov11-11, 10:49 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Stephen Tashi View Post
I haven't ever seen a heat mat for plants, but I've seen electric blankets and other types of "warmers" for people. Their directions warn not to put things over them. Are the plant heat mats safe for putting under towels and blankets?
Stephen,

I have one under a plastic box that regularly gets water spilled on it, and another one with three large thin walled plant containers on that gets wet also. IMHO an electric blanket is way too big for a cat in a small cat bed, whereas a small heat mat 14x6 inches wide fits nicely. The heat mat never gets over 80 degrees F and if it is UL approved I assume it is fairly safe as well. An extremely cautious person would not use one just to be safe. I have had mine almost two years with no trouble UL listed so I would feel safe putting a small cat bed on top of it only when I was home to watch it just in case.

Rhody...
FlexGunship
Nov11-11, 11:57 AM
PF Gold
BTW. The link for your video appears to be broken, at least for me.
Should be fixed now?

Like my cat.
rhody
Nov11-11, 01:22 PM
PF Gold
Should be fixed now?
Nope, just post the real link above it.

The youtube format is: ignore the x at the end of youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTasT5h0LEg

[youtubex]nTasT5h0LEg[/youtubex]

Rhody...
FlexGunship
Nov11-11, 01:25 PM
PF Gold
Nope, just post the real link above it.

The youtube format is: ignore the x at the end of youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTasT5h0LEg

[youtubex]nTasT5h0LEg[/youtubex]

Rhody...
Got it, I did both... provided the link AND tried to fix the embedded video. I'm at work, so all YouTube links are blocked, it's impossible for me to tell if it worked or not. Thanks.
rhody
Nov11-11, 01:29 PM
PF Gold
Got it, I did both... provided the link AND tried to fix the embedded video. I'm at work, so all YouTube links are blocked, it's impossible for me to tell if it worked or not. Thanks.
Yep, you did it thanks.

Rhody...
lisab
Nov11-11, 02:04 PM
Mentor
P: 2,917
We normally play with me out of sight, but for the purpose of the video I had to be seen. If you look at 1:05, that's usually how we play. I think she was putting on a show for the camera wrestling the ball all the way down the steps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST6ZgmssPn8

No need to watch past 1:30 or so... it was just hard to turn off the camera while still playing.
Clearly, Pixel is the luckiest cat, ever .
rhody
Nov11-11, 04:11 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
Clearly, Pixel is the luckiest cat, ever .
Clearly Flex, there is a lesson here, Pengy could stand to benefit by showing his sensitive caring side, instead of his hilarious ... busting obnoxious side once in awhile, if you get my drift, are you reading this Peng ? (Don't worry, he will be, hehe...)

Rhody...
Pengwuino
Nov13-11, 06:45 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,125
Clearly Flex, there is a lesson here, Pengy could stand to benefit by showing his sensitive caring side, instead of his hilarious ... busting obnoxious side once in awhile, if you get my drift, are you reading this Peng ? (Don't worry, he will be, hehe...)

Rhody...
I am perfectly awesome in every way imaginable. If you can't simultaneously see my sensitive, caring side simultaneously with my hilarious, sexy side, then you just aren't looking hard enough.
FlexGunship
Nov14-11, 07:49 AM
PF Gold
Weekend upgrades:
  • Larger litter box with higher sides and removeable top
  • Litter Locker II (you think you can handle just throwing it into garbage bags, but you can't)
  • Laser pointer

In the time I've known Pixel, she has never really "meowed" until... we played with the laser pointer. It makes a loud clicking noise and has a jingly key-chain on it, so I think she associates these sounds with the laser pointer. Anyway, after our first 15 minute play session, I turned it off and she turned to look at me and say, clearly, "meow"...

... which started the second 15 minutes of the laser pointer game.

Ugh, I didn't play nearly enough Skyrim.
turbo
Nov14-11, 11:09 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
I have a cheap green laser-pointer, Flex. If Duke sees me take that out of my desk drawer, he's all over me. He LOVES chasing that green spot all around. I like shutting off the beam when the spot reaches the furnace's floor-vent. He'll look in there and start "snuffing" trying to figure out where the green spot went.

Register to reply