Register to reply

Lienard-Wiechert potential

by QuArK21343
Tags: lienardwiechert, potential
Share this thread:
QuArK21343
Nov3-11, 01:36 PM
P: 47
Just to remind you, the Lienard-Wiechert potential, as far as the scalar potential is concerned, is:

[tex] \phi(\textbf{r},t)=\frac{q}{|\textbf r-\textbf r'(t')|\left(1-\frac{v'(t')\cdot \textbf{u}}{c}\right)}[/tex]

, where [itex]\textbf u[/itex] is the unit vector in the direction of [itex]\textbf r-\textbf r'[/itex]. This equation gives the scalar potential at position [itex]\textbf{r}[/itex] and at time t (the prime indicates that those quantities are to be evaluated at the retarded time). From here, and the similar expression for the vector potential, we can derive the electric and magnetic fields. To do so, we need to evaluate the gradient of [itex]t'[/itex] where:

[tex]t'=t-\frac{|\textbf r-\textbf r'|}{c}[/tex]

This i can't do; in fact, I don't understand with respect to what I have to take the gradient. Answer should be:

[tex]grad (t')=\frac{-\textbf u}{c-\textbf v'\cdot \textbf u}[/tex]

Any help is much appreciated!
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
Team finds elusive quantum transformations near absolute zero
Scientists control surface tension to manipulate liquid metals (w/ Video)
vanhees71
Nov4-11, 08:50 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 2,539
I guess, what you need is the gradient of the retarded time [itex]t'[/itex] wrt. [itex]\vec{x}[/itex] at [itex]t=\text{const}[/itex] since this is what is needed to obtain the electromagnetic field,

[tex]F_{\mu \nu} = \partial_{\mu} A_{\nu}-\partial_{\nu} A_{\mu}.[/tex]

This is somewhat tedious. I'd rather keep the four-dimensional form of the potential written in terms of the covariant retarded Green's function

[tex]A^{\mu}(x)=\int \mathrm{d}^4 x \Delta_{\text{ret}}(x-x') j^{\mu}(x')[/tex]

with (in Heaviside-Lorentz units and [itex]c=1[/itex])

[tex]\Delta_{\text{ret}}(x-x')=\frac{1}{4 \pi} \delta \left [t'-(t-|\vec{r}-\vec{r}'|)\right ].[/tex]

For the four-current density of a particle with charge, [itex]q[/itex], you have

[tex](j^{\mu}(x))=\begin{pmatrix}
q \delta^{(3)}[\vec{x}-\vec{y}(t)] \\
q \frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm d t} \vec{y}(t) \delta^{(3)}[\vec{x}-\vec{y}(t)]
\end{pmatrix},
[/tex]

where [itex]\vec{y}(t)[/itex] is the trajectory of the particle is function of the coordinate time, [itex]t[/itex].

Register to reply