Register to reply

Finding Coefficient of Friction - Relationship b/w Normal Force and Static Friction

by rayj098
Tags: normal force, static friction
Share this thread:
rayj098
Nov7-11, 08:23 PM
P: 8
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
So I have this lab I have to do about finding the relationship between static friction and normal force. So basically I need to find find how the Static Friction and Normal Force relate by doing a lab experiment.

The materials I have are:
Spring balance / scale
Weights
Different surfaces of textures (probably something to do with friction)
and some sort of Cube weight.

So I just don't understand how we would conduct an experiment to find the relationship between normal force (something that goes up) and static friction (Something that is at rest).

2. Relevant equations
Fnet = ma

My teacher also said something about Coefficient of Friction = Static friction / Normal force but I don't see how I can apply that in this lab overall.

3. The attempt at a solution

I really am confused about what to do for this lab. I would really appreciate if you could give me guidance as to how I could approach this lab to find the relationship.

I know it has to do with something about measuring the mass of the weights in different frictions and I think calculating f=ma but am confused...

PLEASE HELP!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
PeterO
Nov7-11, 09:00 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,318
Quote Quote by rayj098 View Post
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
So I have this lab I have to do about finding the relationship between static friction and normal force. So basically I need to find find how the Static Friction and Normal Force relate by doing a lab experiment.

The materials I have are:
Spring balance / scale
Weights
Different surfaces of textures (probably something to do with friction)
and some sort of Cube weight.

So I just don't understand how we would conduct an experiment to find the relationship between normal force (something that goes up) and static friction (Something that is at rest).

2. Relevant equations
Fnet = ma

My teacher also said something about Coefficient of Friction = Static friction / Normal force but I don't see how I can apply that in this lab overall.

3. The attempt at a solution

I really am confused about what to do for this lab. I would really appreciate if you could give me guidance as to how I could approach this lab to find the relationship.

I know it has to do with something about measuring the mass of the weights in different frictions and I think calculating f=ma but am confused...

PLEASE HELP!
A common method of demonstrating static friction and kinetic friction is as follows.

A selected mass is placed on a rough surface [doesn't have to be too rough] and the spring balance is attached to one end/side. The balance is then pulled horizontally.
The balance will measure the force applied to the mass. The force is gradually increased
At a certain point, the mass begins to slip. The maximum reading, just as the mass begins to move, equals the static friction. The reading on the spring balance will immediately reduce once the block starts moving. If the operator then continues to pull on the spring balance so as to keep the mass moving at [almost] constant speed. This new [lower] reading will show you the kinetic friction.

By the sound of it, you are mainly interested in the first part - the static friction.
Perhaps next weeks lab will be about kinetic friction?

To see how Static friction varies with Normal force, you can load up the block that touches the surface and see how the static friction varies with weight. SInce you will use a flat surface, the Normal Reaction force will be the same size as the weight.

Register to reply