AlephZero
Nov22-11, 12:27 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 7,284
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
We solved many problems by promoting people. Sad, isn't it?
It's only sad if they figure out that's why they got promoted.
PAllen
Nov22-11, 12:34 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 5,083
Let's come up with a fancy name for this principle. The 'Peter Principle' is the tendency for promotion until incompetence is reached. This related principle may summarized 'promote until incompetence doesn't matter'. I don't have a suggestion - I just think we have something here that deserves a good name.
Dembadon
Nov22-11, 12:41 PM
PF Gold
P: 641
Quote Quote by PAllen View Post
Let's come up with a fancy name for this principle. The 'Peter Principle' is the tendency for promotion until incompetence is reached. This related principle may summarized 'promote until incompetence doesn't matter'. I don't have a suggestion - I just think we have something there that deserves a good name.
The Fundamental Theorem of Business?
gneill
Nov22-11, 04:08 PM
Mentor
P: 11,829
Let's come up with a fancy name for this principle. The 'Peter Principle' is the tendency for promotion until incompetence is reached. This related principle may summarized 'promote until incompetence doesn't matter'. I don't have a suggestion - I just think we have something here that deserves a good name.
That's the Peter Out Principle.
Greg Bernhardt
Nov22-11, 04:25 PM
Admin
P: 9,699
Upgrade is done. Some template will need to be worked on. My apologies for any temporary goofyness. Thanks!
Dembadon
Nov22-11, 04:30 PM
PF Gold
P: 641
Quote Quote by Greg Bernhardt View Post
Upgrade is done. Some template will need to be worked on. My apologies for any temporary goofyness. Thanks!
Nice work! I barely even felt it; 'twas merely a slight pinch!
lisab
Nov22-11, 04:31 PM
Mentor
P: 3,008
Entropy of Competence?
D H
Nov22-11, 04:57 PM
Mentor
P: 15,201
Quote Quote by AlephZero View Post
Then somebody had a better idea, and we recommended the accident-prone guy for fast-track promotion into management. Problem solved, permamently.
An inept manager who is in charge of a project and managing people can do much more damage than the most inept worker. Here's hoping that he was fast-tracked to a project of one with no budget.

The problem isn't solved permanently because he's still a drain on and a potential liability to the company. The solution is to keep promoting him! Eventually your competition will notice and lure hire him away from you.
Ryan_m_b
Nov22-11, 05:09 PM
Mentor
P: 5,490
A few things I've noticed with the upgrade:

- When I log on I get an invalid message yet when I click on a banner link I'm shown as logged in

- People's blog count isn't appearing in a neat box but plaining written under their post count

All for now...
Greg Bernhardt
Nov22-11, 05:28 PM
Admin
P: 9,699
Quote Quote by Ryan_m_b View Post
A few things I've noticed with the upgrade:

- When I log on I get an invalid message yet when I click on a banner link I'm shown as logged in

- People's blog count isn't appearing in a neat box but plaining written under their post count

All for now...
Both of those issues should be fixed now
AlephZero
Nov22-11, 05:55 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 7,284
Quote Quote by D H View Post
The solution is to keep promoting him! Eventually your competition will notice and lure hire him away from you.
Actually, he got shunted into a corner of the business that was taken over by an outsourcing company. He's probably screwing things up at "international enterprise empowerment evangelist" level by now.

That sort of outcome almost makes you want to believe in karma
Redbelly98
Nov22-11, 06:07 PM
Mentor
P: 12,074
Threads with zero replies are not highlighted.
Fredrik
Nov22-11, 08:32 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,531
We seem to have lost the ability to highlight a piece of text and type "Alt Gr+i" to surround it by "i" tags or "Alt Gr+b" to surround it by "b" tags. (Not a big problem, but if it's easy to fix...)

Spoiler
Just checking if the spoiler tags are still ugly. Not an actual problem, but I was curious if that would change since they look so much better on at least one other vBulletin forum I know. Apparently ours cant even hide a smiley.
lisab
Nov22-11, 08:55 PM
Mentor
P: 3,008
Quote Quote by Fredrik View Post
Spoiler
Just checking if the spoiler tags are still ugly. Not an actual problem, but I was curious if that would change since they look so much better on at least one other vBulletin forum I know. Apparently ours cant even hide a smiley.
floating ghost smileys
Fredrik
Nov22-11, 10:05 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,531
Every time I close my brower, I get logged out. (Yes, I'm checking "remember me" each time).
DaveC426913
Nov22-11, 10:12 PM
P: 15,319
We seem to have lost the ability to highlight a piece of text and type "Alt Gr+i" to surround it by "i" tags or "Alt Gr+b" to surround it by "b" tags. (Not a big problem, but if it's easy to fix...)
Pretty sure that's actually a browser thing, not a forum thing.

What browser are you using?
PAllen
Nov22-11, 10:12 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 5,083
Every time I close my brower, I get logged out. (Yes, I'm checking "remember me" each time).
I get the same behavior. Brand new behavior.
DaveC426913
Nov22-11, 10:16 PM
P: 15,319
I saw it once, until I clicked remember me but now it's behaving. I am running FF8.

Register to reply