Register to reply

How to measure charging of Cockcroft Walton Multipliers?

Share this thread:
shrinky
Nov10-11, 12:38 AM
P: 3
How do you measure the voltage of a cockcroft walton multiplier over time to observe the charging behavior? Does measuring with oscilloscopes discharge the capacitor hence you cant observe the charging or not?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
UCI team is first to capture motion of single molecule in real time
And so they beat on, flagella against the cantilever
Tandem microwave destroys hazmat, disinfects
NascentOxygen
Nov10-11, 01:10 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,477
The oscilloscope doesn't impose much loading on the circuit. You are wanting to observe the actual pumping up? That will be a short term transitory waveform. Using a CRO with differential inputs might be handy, if you wish to observe all waveforms around the circuit.
shrinky
Nov11-11, 02:56 PM
P: 3
Yeah. Ideally I'd like to see the oscillation with amplitude offset increasing as time goes on.

Right now I have a simple half wave multi stage multiplier set up. I can measure the rectification part, so the sine wave only goes to the positive and not negative, but I dont see the amplitude increase so that the dc offset is always zero essentially.

It could be my driving frequency isnt correct perhaps?

Rhetorical I guess but is it better to measure the voltage across the capacitor at the highest stage or measure the potential relative to ground.

NascentOxygen
Nov11-11, 04:40 PM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,477
How to measure charging of Cockcroft Walton Multipliers?

Quote Quote by shrinky View Post
Yeah. Ideally I'd like to see the oscillation with amplitude offset increasing as time goes on.
Well, it's a transient, so unless you have a storage CRO or a synchronised camera, you won't see it.

Right now I have a simple half wave multi stage multiplier set up. I can measure the rectification part, so the sine wave only goes to the positive and not negative, but I dont see the amplitude increase so that the dc offset is always zero essentially.
Are you saying it's not working?

It could be my driving frequency isnt correct perhaps?
It shouldn't matter.

Can you post your circuit schematic?

Rhetorical I guess but is it better to measure the voltage across the capacitor at the highest stage or measure the potential relative to ground.
Unless your driving source is floating, you can't connect the CRO across any ungrounded element.

Register to reply