Public Pensions

by DoggerDan
Tags: pensions, public
DoggerDan
Nov17-11, 03:15 PM
P: 77
Quote Quote by WhoWee View Post
White House officials defended the provision, saying it was a deliberate effort to eliminate what they said was an unusually generous tax loophole."[/I]
Hmm... So it's ok for the government to raise public debt by trillions, but it's not ok for corporations to use an intentionally-created tax break valued in the millions.

Apparently, it's also ok for the Obama administration to falsely slight those who created it by wrongly referring to it as a "loophole."

I agree with the points you make, WhoWee.
WhoWee
Nov17-11, 03:24 PM
P: 1,123
Quote Quote by DoggerDan View Post
Hmm... So it's ok for the government to raise public debt by trillions, but it's not ok for corporations to use an intentionally-created tax break valued in the millions.

Apparently, it's also ok for the Obama administration to falsely slight those who created it by wrongly referring to it as a "loophole."

I agree with the points you make, WhoWee.
I think calling this a "loophole" is very deceptive. Likewise, calling it a "tax break" implies the companies are receiving some type of benefit. This tax deduction is designed to account for payments made by the employer for the retiree benefits. If the companies have to pay taxes on the funds they've spent - they will stop paying. This (IMO) should be a legitimate business expense.

Register to reply