Having issues with a seemingly simple problem

• Thread starter Xyius
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Issues
In summary, a particle of mass m is subjected to a force that is inversely proportional to the cube of its distance from the origin. If the particle is initially at rest at a distance x_0 from the origin, the equations of motion can be set up using Newton's Second Law. One possible solution is to use conservation of energy, taking into account both potential and kinetic energy.
Xyius

Homework Statement

A particle of mass m is repelled from the origin by a force inversely proportional to the cube of its distance from the origin. Set up and solve the equations of motion if the particle is initially at rest at a distance [itex]x_0[/itex] from the origin.

(This is one dimensional motion)

Homework Equations

Newtons Second Law to set up the equation of motion

The Attempt at a Solution

The first part is simple. I just had..
[tex]m \ddot{x}=\frac{k}{x^3}[/tex]

And this part is right. I am having trouble solving it however. I know it is just a method from my differential equations course but I am having trouble for some reason!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try conservation of energy - potential + kinetic.

1. What do I do if I can't seem to solve a simple problem?

First, take a step back and assess the problem. Break it down into smaller, more manageable parts. Take your time and don't rush the solution. If you're still struggling, try reaching out to a colleague or searching online for similar problems and their solutions.

2. Why am I having trouble with a problem that seems easy?

Sometimes, even seemingly simple problems can have hidden complexities. It's important to carefully analyze the problem and make sure you fully understand it before attempting to solve it. Additionally, external factors such as stress or distractions can also impact our problem-solving abilities.

3. Is it normal to struggle with simple problems?

Absolutely! No one is perfect and it's completely normal to struggle with certain problems, even if they seem simple. The important thing is to not get discouraged and to keep trying. Remember, problem-solving is a skill that can be improved with practice.

4. How can I prevent getting stuck on simple problems in the future?

One way to prevent getting stuck on simple problems is to regularly practice problem-solving skills. Set aside time to work on puzzles, riddles, or other brain teasers. This will help keep your problem-solving abilities sharp and make it easier to tackle simple problems in the future.

5. When should I ask for help with a seemingly easy problem?

If you've been struggling with a problem for a while and can't seem to make any progress, it might be time to ask for help. This could be from a colleague, mentor, or even online resources. Don't be afraid to reach out for assistance, as it can often lead to a quicker and more efficient solution.