Finding the Distribution of Balls in Bins with Limited Capacity

• Thread starter prov_in_stl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Balls Bin
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the distribution of 15 balls in 8 bins, with each bin having a maximum capacity of 4 balls. The solution involves finding the total number of combinations of 8 numbers between 1 and 4 that add up to 15 and counting the occurrences of each integer in the combination.
prov_in_stl
I have a 15 balls and 8 bins. Each bin can only hold 4 balls. If throw the 15 balls in the bins (random) and all the balls land in the bins, how do i find the distribution of balls/bin. eg. #4 bins with 3 balls, #1 bin with 1 ball etc.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You will need to find the total number of ways that you can have 8 numbers, each at least 1, none larger than 4, that add to 15.

Yes. I should have mentioned that I figure that part out but was wondering if there was a simplified formula to do the same? Because, I would also have to be able to count the number of times each integer between 1 and 4 occurs in the this combination.

Any help would be appreciated.

1. How does the "twist" affect the distribution of balls in the bin?

The "twist" in the context of "Balls in a bin (w/ a twist)" refers to a randomizing factor that is introduced in the distribution of balls. This can be a random movement of the bin or an external force applied to the bin. The twist essentially adds an element of unpredictability to the distribution of balls in the bin, making it more chaotic and less uniform.

2. Can the number of balls in the bin be accurately predicted?

Due to the randomizing factor of the "twist", it is difficult to accurately predict the number of balls in the bin. However, with a large enough sample size and proper statistical analysis, it is possible to estimate the average number of balls in the bin over time.

3. How does the size of the bin affect the distribution of balls?

The size of the bin can greatly affect the distribution of balls. A larger bin will have more space for the balls to spread out, resulting in a more even distribution. On the other hand, a smaller bin will have less space and may lead to clumping of the balls. This is especially true when the "twist" is introduced, as it can create more chaotic movements in a smaller space.

4. What are some real-world applications of studying "Balls in a bin (w/ a twist)"?

One real-world application of studying "Balls in a bin (w/ a twist)" is in the field of physics, specifically in the study of Brownian motion and diffusion. This concept can also be applied to the study of traffic flow and crowd behavior, where the "twist" can represent external factors that affect the movement of individuals or vehicles.

5. How does the "twist" impact the overall randomness of the balls in the bin?

The "twist" greatly impacts the overall randomness of the balls in the bin. Without the "twist", the distribution of balls would follow a more predictable pattern, such as a normal distribution. However, with the introduction of the "twist", the distribution becomes more chaotic and less predictable, making it more difficult to determine the exact location of each ball in the bin.