Register to reply

How much magnification needed to see

by z4955
Tags: magnification
Share this thread:
z4955
Dec4-04, 12:55 PM
P: 111
can anybody tell me how much maginfication it takes to see certain micro organisms such as e coli, tetanus, botulism etc. ??? where can I find a suitable microscope that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Researchers study vital 'on/off switches' that control when bacteria turn deadly
Scientists find how mysterious 'circular RNA' is formed, claim muscular dystrophy link
A new quality control pathway in the cell
iansmith
Dec4-04, 02:21 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,430
To see have a good view of E. coli, you need a 100X objective (more than 1000X magnification) to see good details although a 40X objective (more than 400X magnification) is sufficient to see the bacteria when they are stainned. I would not stained if I was at home because it is a messy operation

Have you try ebay to find an inexpensive microscope

This one would be sufficient but in lab we use something with more magnification power.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...856410272&rd=1
CharlesP
Dec30-04, 10:29 PM
P: 147
Help. I got a 100 x toy and I can't see the Brownian movement ever. No one has ever been able to tell me what magnification I need. Generally I try aqueous solution.

Register to reply