View Poll Results: Where does most of your energy come from in your community?
Coal 8 50.00%
Oil 2 12.50%
Nuclear 4 25.00%
Hydro 6 37.50%
Wind 1 6.25%
Solar 0 0%
Natural Gas 8 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Register to reply

Where does most of your energy come from?

by Kevin_Axion
Tags: energy
Share this thread:
Kevin_Axion
Nov24-11, 11:00 PM
P: 920
Where does most your energy come from in your local community?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
zoobyshoe
Nov24-11, 11:10 PM
P: 5,625
Coffee.
rootX
Nov24-11, 11:11 PM
P: 1,294
I came in this thread to tell where my energy comes from ...

It's from other people around me

micromass
Nov25-11, 12:16 AM
Mentor
P: 18,051
Where does most of your energy come from?

I get my energy from locking people up in a computer simulation and by harvesting their body heath.
zoobyshoe
Nov25-11, 02:03 AM
P: 5,625
Quote Quote by micromass View Post
I get my energy from locking people up in a computer simulation and by harvesting their body heath.
That's really really evil.

Hypothetically, though, how would I go about doing that? Hypothetically.
Drakkith
Nov25-11, 02:33 AM
Mentor
P: 11,583
Ultimately my energy came from a giant cloud of hydrogen that collapsed about 4 billion years ago. Or the big bang. Whichever is more "in" these days. Oh, and cake. Mmmm cake...
Pythagorean
Nov25-11, 02:39 AM
PF Gold
P: 4,262
our campus cogen plant runs on both oil and coal, it has two burners and two boilers.

it sucks when the inversion layer traps all that crap down low.
Pythagorean
Nov25-11, 02:44 AM
PF Gold
P: 4,262
Quote Quote by zoobyshoe View Post
That's really really evil.

Hypothetically, though, how would I go about doing that? Hypothetically.
It's simple, you need only to build a 3D digitizer like in tron. It requires six synchronous lasers and a magnetic trap. Optical tweezers really makes the job a breeze for coding protein configurations (otherwise you have to interface your machine with some kind of x-ray crystallography table).

As far as I know, it's still in the experimental phase though. You have to spend more energy running the machine than you can actually harvest from your victims. But it breaks more even than cold fusion.
rhody
Nov25-11, 08:37 AM
PF Gold
P: 765
Methane from cow gas... hehe...

Rhody...
drizzle
Nov25-11, 08:57 AM
PF Gold
P: 525
Quote Quote by micromass View Post
*clears throat*
Astronuc
Nov25-11, 09:11 AM
Admin
P: 21,827
The local utility solds its generation as part of the deregulation strategy imposed by the state. Now they buy off the 'grid', which has a mix of generation.
Ryan_m_b
Nov25-11, 09:41 AM
Mentor
P: 5,405
Considering my energy comes off the nationwide grid the lions share of it is gas. Nice, expensive, extortionately priced gas...
turbo
Nov25-11, 09:57 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Most of Maine's generating capacity is in the form of Hydro. There is a large oil-powered plant, and I think all of the paper mills have cogeneration agreements with the utilities. Maine is a net exporter of electricity, and we could probably supply all our own power with hydro without having to feed the grid.

Register to reply