How do I calculate tilt stiffness as a function of linear stiffness?

In summary, the conversation is about the calculation of the tilt stiffness as a function of linear stiffness. The speaker has shared their attempt on the right-hand side of the force-body diagram and is unsure if the attempt on the left-hand side is correct. They have two queries: 1) how to get the actual force and 2) how to write the expression as a function of the angle. The expert responds by suggesting the use of the equation F = kx to calculate the force and using trigonometry to write the expression as a function of the angle. They also suggest posting the question in a physics forum for additional feedback.
bugatti79
Folks,

See attached. I wish to calculate the tilt stiffness as a function of some linear stiffness.

My attempt is on the RHS of FBD and there is somebody elses attempt on the LHS. I am not sure if it is right.
I have 2 queries

1) My attempt on the RHS I wrote the expression of f in terms of linear stiffness (data of which I have let's say 100N/mm). How do I get the actual force? Ie, I am not sure with moment arm to multiply this stiffness value by?

2) How to rit the expression as a function of the angle?

Thanks

Note I have posted this in https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=553883. which I believe is the correct place.

Attachments

• IMAG0132.jpg
    IMAG0132.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 561
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your attempt and asking for feedback. I am also not sure if the left-hand side attempt is correct. Let's discuss your queries one by one.

1) To calculate the actual force, you can use the equation F = kx, where F is the force, k is the linear stiffness, and x is the displacement. In this case, x would be the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied, which is the moment arm. So, the force would be F = k * d, where d is the moment arm.

2) To write the expression as a function of the angle, you can use trigonometry. Let's say the angle is theta, then the moment arm would be d = L * sin(theta), where L is the length of the lever arm. Substituting this into the equation above, we get F = k * L * sin(theta). This shows that the force is directly proportional to the length of the lever arm and the sine of the angle.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions or if you need clarification on anything. Also, it's great that you have posted this in a physics forum, as you can get feedback from other experts as well. Good luck with your calculations!

1. What is tilt stiffness?

Tilt stiffness is a measure of the resistance of an object to tilting or rotating under a given force or torque. It is a property that describes the rigidity of an object and its ability to maintain its orientation when subjected to external forces.

2. How is tilt stiffness calculated?

Tilt stiffness can be calculated by dividing the torque or force applied to an object by the resulting tilt angle. This calculation can be done using the equation: tilt stiffness = torque / tilt angle.

3. What factors affect tilt stiffness?

The factors that affect tilt stiffness include the material properties of the object, its shape and geometry, the distribution of weight and mass, and the type and magnitude of external forces or torques applied to it.

4. Why is calculating tilt stiffness important?

Calculating tilt stiffness is important in many scientific and engineering applications, such as designing structures and machines that can withstand external forces without losing their stability or orientation. It is also crucial in understanding the behavior and properties of materials and objects under different conditions.

5. How can tilt stiffness be measured?

Tilt stiffness can be measured using specialized instruments such as torque sensors or tilt sensors. These devices can accurately measure the applied torque or force and the resulting tilt angle, allowing for the calculation of tilt stiffness. Additionally, tilt stiffness can also be indirectly measured by analyzing the behavior of an object under different external forces or by conducting experiments and simulations.