Math / Chemistry Question

• Thread starter Rich_E2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, to make a 2% solution using 200 milligram tablets and a 3 ounce dropper bottle of water, you would need to add 8.85 tablets to the water. It would be helpful to have everything measured in the same system of units, such as converting the water from ounces to milliliters.
Rich_E2
Hello, I need your help on a calculation...

I have 200 milligram dissolvable tablets, and a 3 ounce dropper bottle of water. How many tablets would I need to add to the water to make a 2% solution?

The chemistry/math is a bit confusing to me because the tables are measured in mass (i.e. mg), whereas water is measured in volume (i.e. oz.).

Thanks in advance for your help

-Rich

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It would help if you had everything in the same systems of units...leave your tablets in milligrams but convert your bottle of water from ounces into grams (or milligrams)...things should then get easier

I'm terrible at math.

Does anyone know the answer?

Thanks.

one liter of water contains 1000 grams = 1000 ml
one 200 milligram tablet = .2 grams
so 100 tablets = 20 grams
20g/1000g = 2% solution

3 oz = 88.5 ml
so x / 88.5 = 100 / 1000
so you add 8.85 ( 200 mg ) tablets / 3 oz water = 2% solution

Last edited:
ard

Sure, I'd be happy to help with this calculation. To make a 2% solution, we need to know the amount of the solute (dissolvable tablets) and the amount of the solvent (water). In this case, we have 200 milligrams of tablets and 3 ounces of water. Before we can calculate the number of tablets needed, we need to convert the units to be consistent.

First, we need to convert the 3 ounces of water to milliliters (mL), since the tablets are measured in milligrams (mg). There are approximately 29.57 mL in 1 ounce, so 3 ounces of water is equal to 88.71 mL.

Next, we can use the formula for finding percent concentration: % concentration = (mass of solute / volume of solution) x 100. Rearranging this formula to solve for the mass of solute, we get: mass of solute = (% concentration x volume of solution) / 100.

Plugging in our values, we get: mass of solute = (2 x 88.71 mL) / 100 = 1.7742 grams.

Since we have 200 milligrams of tablets, we can convert this to grams by dividing by 1000. This gives us 0.2 grams of tablets.

Now, we can use the formula for finding the number of moles of a substance: moles = mass / molar mass. The molar mass of the tablets will depend on the specific compound, but for example, if the tablets are aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid) with a molar mass of 180.16 g/mol, then we would need: moles = 0.2 g / 180.16 g/mol = 0.00111 mol.

Finally, we can use the formula for finding the number of particles (in this case, tablets) in a given number of moles: number of particles = moles / Avogadro's number. Avogadro's number is approximately 6.022 x 10^23 particles/mol. So, the number of tablets needed would be: number of particles = 0.00111 mol / 6.022 x 10^23 particles/mol = 6.72 x 10^-24 tablets.

Since we can't have a fraction of a tablet, we would round

1. What is the difference between math and chemistry?

Math is a branch of science that deals with numbers, quantities, and shapes using various operations and equations. Chemistry, on the other hand, is the study of matter and the changes it undergoes, including its composition, properties, and reactions. While both subjects use mathematical concepts, the focus and application of each are different.

2. How are math and chemistry related?

Math and chemistry are closely related as mathematics provides the foundation for understanding and analyzing chemical concepts and problems. For example, mathematical equations are used to describe chemical reactions, calculate concentrations and rates of reactions, and determine physical properties of substances.

3. What are some common mathematical concepts used in chemistry?

Some common mathematical concepts used in chemistry include algebra, logarithms, geometry, calculus, and statistics. These concepts are used to solve problems related to chemical equations, concentration calculations, and interpreting experimental data.

4. How does math help in understanding the periodic table?

Math is crucial in understanding the periodic table as it helps in determining the properties and trends of elements. For example, the periodic table is organized based on an element's atomic number, which is determined by the number of protons in the nucleus. Math is also used to calculate the atomic mass and electron configurations of elements.

5. Can you provide an example of how math is used in chemistry?

One example of how math is used in chemistry is in the calculation of molar mass. Molar mass is the mass of one mole of a substance and is calculated by adding the atomic masses of each element in the compound. This requires knowledge of basic math concepts such as addition, multiplication, and unit conversions.