Register to reply

Ceramic density

by Gonzolo
Tags: ceramic, density
Share this thread:
Gonzolo
Dec6-04, 08:59 PM
P: n/a
Hi, I'm looking the mass density of superconductor YBaCuO. Everywhere I look tells me it's critical temperature and all other relevant coefficient values, but no one bothers to mention the basic property of mass/volume. I hope someone can help. Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
An interesting glimpse into how future state-of-the-art electronics might work
How computing is transforming materials science research
Scientists describe a hybrid laminate material with magnetic and photoactive properties
nbo10
Dec7-04, 02:48 PM
P: 415
You can calculate this quanity very easily form the unit cell.
Gonzolo
Dec7-04, 03:38 PM
Yup, I suppose I was being stuborn. I expected to find the value on the web or books in 2 minutes, didn't, and couldn't bring myself to give up. Finally did, but I should have just calculated.

ZapperZ
Dec7-04, 04:04 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 29,238
Ceramic density

Quote Quote by Gonzolo
Yup, I suppose I was being stuborn. I expected to find the value on the web or books in 2 minutes, didn't, and couldn't bring myself to give up. Finally did, but I should have just calculated.
Keep in mind that "YBaCuO" is a very generic name for this family. Do you mean the 123 compound, or the 124 compound, etc...? This can determine the number of CuO layers per unit cell. Also note that the "unit cell" for YBCO (and other high-Tc ceramics) isn't that trivial.

Zz.
Gonzolo
Dec7-04, 04:20 PM
Got that covered Zz, thanks.
Astronuc
Dec7-04, 05:29 PM
Admin
P: 21,866
This paper has some density of YBaCuO reported - 5.38-5.43 g/cm3. The authors were measuring the mass attenuation coefficient of X-rays.

http://www.iop.org/EJ/abstract/0953-2048/18/1/016

Measurement of mass attenuation coefficients for YBaCuO superconductor at different energies
U Çevik1, H Baltas2, S Çelik2, I Karaca3 and I Kopya1
1 Karadeniz Technical University, Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Department of Physics, 61080 Trabzon, Turkey
2 Karadeniz Technical University, Rize Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Department of Physics, 53100 Rize, Turkey
3 Nigde University, Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Department of Physics, 51200 Nigde, Turkey

To access it, one needs to register and set up a 'free' account. Otherwise one only accesses the abstract which does not provide the details.

I would recommend completing the calculation of density which would be the theoretical value.

Register to reply