Gravity and vector component

In summary: This may seem small, but as the angle a gets smaller and smaller (approaching 0), the difference between the actual area and the calculated area also approaches 0, meaning that the calculated area is a good approximation for the actual area. Additionally, this calculation can be expanded to 3D using the concept of solids of revolution.
Zula110100100
I was thinking about gravity, and it seems strange that point masses really work, one question, since I am not that great with relativity is: does GR take density into account? For instance in Newtonian gravity, the distance from the planet's surface doesn't make a difference, it seems in the swartzchild solution it doesn't either. Is this the case?

Why doesn't the arcsecond size of the planet make a difference in gravity?

If all the mass of the planet were within a 10° range less would be canceled than if it were spread out over a 160° range.

I was trying to figure out how much of a circle could be said to be "under" a point(P) on it's perimeter, "under" meaning what component of it was parallel to a line going through the center and the point.

The area of the sector is A = ∏r2a/360
Since we are going across the circle the radius we want is actually r = 2rcos(a)

So A = ∏r2cos(a)2a/90This cuts off a bit, but with calculus that is ok since as da get smaller the amount it is off approaches 0

To make it all calculus-y what I wanted first is to prove I get half a circle if i do:

Lim da→0 Ʃ (∏r2cos(ai)2/90)da

∫(∏r2cos(ai)2/90)da

you can factor out the constants

∏r2/90 ∫ cos(ai)2da

∏r2/90 | (sin(2a) + 2a)/4

(∏r2/90)[(sin(2*90) + 2*90)/4 - (sin(0) + 0)/4]

(∏r2/90)[(0 + 180)/4 - (0+0)/4]

(∏r2/90)(180/4 - 0)

(∏r2/90)(45)

∏r2/2 which is half a circle.

So If I then took the parallel component of a vector whose magnitude was the area of that sector, and whose direction was the angle a(a was the angle from center, da was the angle used for the sector)

The parallel component is Acos(a)

So I take my A:
A = ∏r2cos(a)2a/90 * cos(a)
That gives me:
So A = ∏r2cos(a)3a/90 right?

So with basically the same integral, constants out I have:

∏r2/90 ∫ cos(ai)3da

∏r2/90 | (sin(a)3 + 3sin(a))/3
∏r2/90(.6558 - 0)
That gives me .0073∏r2

I believe this could be expanded to 3D using sort of a solids of revolution concept but I don't have that done yet. So far as 2D goes does that mean that only .73% of a circle is "under" any given point?Edit: hmm, .6558 is what i got from the integral calculator, but sin(90) is 1, so (1+3(1))/3 should be 1.333 which would be .0148∏r2, like twice as much, but still REALLY small... As a side question is (sin(a))3 the same as sin3(a)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I thought it was but I'm not sure.Yes, (sin(a))3 is the same as sin3(a). This means that the area of the sector is actually 0.0148πr2. So this means that approximately 1.48% of the circle is "under" any given point on its perimeter.

1. What is gravity and how does it work?

Gravity is a force that pulls objects towards each other. It is caused by the mass of an object and the distance between two objects. The larger the mass and the closer the distance, the stronger the force of gravity.

2. How is gravity related to vector components?

Gravity can be broken down into two vector components: horizontal and vertical. The horizontal component is perpendicular to the direction of motion, while the vertical component is parallel to the direction of motion. These components help us understand the direction and magnitude of the force of gravity.

3. How do you calculate the force of gravity using vector components?

To calculate the force of gravity, you can use the formula F = G (m1m2)/r^2, where F is the force of gravity, G is the universal gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them. The direction of the force can be determined using vector components.

4. How does the direction of gravity change at different points on Earth?

The direction of gravity is always towards the center of the Earth, but it can vary slightly at different points on Earth's surface due to the uneven distribution of mass. This is why objects may weigh slightly more or less at different locations on Earth.

5. How does gravity affect motion?

Gravity affects motion by creating an acceleration towards the center of the Earth. This acceleration is constant and can be calculated using the formula a = F/m, where a is acceleration, F is the force of gravity, and m is the mass of the object. This acceleration is what causes objects to fall towards the ground.