Register to reply

FEM software? Poisson equation: Boundary conditions for a charged boundary

Share this thread:
zonksoft
Dec5-11, 11:00 AM
P: 1
Hi all,

I want to calculate the electrostatic potential for an two-dimensional area with given Dirichlet boundary conditions (say, a square) with a charged ring in it (like a wedding ring, but inifinitely thin) with a given line charge density. I figured out that the problem should be solvable if I divided up the whole area into two areas: inside (solution phi_1(r)) and outside (solution phi_2(r)) the ring, connected with the boundary conditions

phi_1=phi_2
dphi_1/dn-dphi_2/dn=\sigma/epsilon_0

d.../dn is the normal derivative, and sigma is the position-dependent line charge along the ring.

If you want, you can also think about the physics behind this, but my real question is about the mathematical issue: Do you know any (free) FEM software that can implement those conditions? I read into NGsolve and ELMER until now, and I don't think they can do it (at least, in a reasonable amout of my time configuring it).

Best
Rafael
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond

Register to reply