Can anyone solve this? I've asked 3 professors

• Thread starter Moore65
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Professors
In summary, the children were asking their parents if they could go out on a date, but the parents were saying no.
Moore65
Can anyone solve this? I've asked 3 professors!

I'm having trouble trying to understand this problem.

The R-L-C series circuit is driven with a AC source with EMF=Vo*sin(wt) where Vo=110.0V and f=60.0 Hz. If R = 20.0 Ohms, L=5.0 * 10^-2 H, and C=50.0uF, find the potential drops across the inductor at to=0 and at a time t1=the first time after to that the EMF reaches a maximum.

The current moves throught the circuit first through the resistor, then through the capacitor, and finally through the "L" before completely the cicuit.

I'm not really sure what to do, can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
The sum of the potential drops across the resistor, capacitor and inductor equals the applied voltage and can be expressed as a differential equation. Just solve it for the current and find the potential drop across the inductor as L dI/dt.

Moore65 said:
I'm having trouble trying to understand this problem.

The R-L-C series circuit is driven with a AC source with EMF=Vo*sin(wt) where Vo=110.0V and f=60.0 Hz. If R = 20.0 Ohms, L=5.0 * 10^-2 H, and C=50.0uF, find the potential drops across the inductor at to=0 and at a time t1=the first time after to that the EMF reaches a maximum.

The current moves throught the circuit first through the resistor, then through the capacitor, and finally through the "L" before completely the cicuit.

I'm not really sure what to do, can anyone help?

What have you learned about ac circuits? Do you know what "impedance" is?

The magnitude of the impedance of a series L-R-C circuit is

[tex] Z=\sqrt{R^2+(\omega L - 1/(\omega C))^2} [/tex]

and the phase of the impedance is

[tex]\alpha = \arctan ( \frac{\omega L - 1/(\omega C)}{R})[/tex]

The amplitude of the current through the circuit is

[tex] I_0 = U_0 /Z [/tex]

The phase of the impedance is equal to the phase difference between voltage and current: the current lags behind the voltage by this phase angle. The time dependence of the current is:

[tex] I(t) = I_0 \sin(\omega t - \alpha) [/tex]

The potential across the inductor leeds the current by pi/2. The impedance of the inductor is wL.

[tex] U_L = (\omega L) I_0 \sin (\omega t -\alpha + \ pi /2)[/tex]

First calculate Z, alpha, Io and then plug in t=0 to get the potential drop through the inductor at t=0. The emf reaches its maximum first when wt= pi/2, so just replace (wt) by pi/2 to get the potential drop at t1. .

ehild

1. Can anyone actually solve this problem?

It is possible that someone may be able to solve the problem, but there is no guarantee. It ultimately depends on the complexity of the problem and the individual's knowledge and skills.

2. Why haven't the professors been able to solve it?

The professors may not have the specific expertise or knowledge in the area of the problem. It is also possible that the problem is still unsolved and requires further research and experimentation.

3. Is there a specific method or approach that can be used to solve this problem?

There are various methods and approaches that can be used in problem solving, such as the scientific method or trial and error. However, the most effective method may depend on the specific problem and the individual's problem-solving skills.

4. How long does it typically take to solve a problem like this?

The time it takes to solve a problem can vary greatly depending on the complexity and difficulty of the problem, as well as the resources and knowledge available to the individual. It could take anywhere from a few hours to several years.

5. Are there any resources or tools that can help in solving this problem?

There may be resources and tools available, such as books, databases, or software, that can aid in solving the problem. It may also be helpful to consult with other experts or colleagues in the field for their insights and perspectives.