How to find eigenvalues and eigenvectors for 5x5 matrix

by DavidLiew
Tags: eigenvalues, eigenvectors, matrix
DavidLiew
Dec8-11, 01:43 AM
P: 16
I got a 5x5 matrix, if use characteristic equation to find the eigenvalues and eigenvectors are very tedious and trouble, so got any method which are easy to calculate?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Simplicity is key to co-operative robots
Chemical vapor deposition used to grow atomic layer materials on top of each other
Earliest ancestor of land herbivores discovered
genericusrnme
Dec8-11, 03:40 AM
P: 615
unless you've got a nice matrix (read diagonal) you're going to have to use some tricks, if you're lucky you can use the tschirnhaus transformation but most likely you'll have to resort to numerical approximations for the eigenvalues (newtons method or something) then you'll have to churn through to find the nullspace manually

it's pretty tedious work and chances are that you'd end up making an error doing it anyway..
you could just use mathematica or matlab, that'd be easier

if you don't have any of those, post your matrix and I'll give you the results, if you want?
DavidLiew
Dec8-11, 03:55 AM
P: 16
I need to do it in paper, can not use software to solve.

genericusrnme
Dec8-11, 04:15 AM
P: 615

How to find eigenvalues and eigenvectors for 5x5 matrix

in that case I'd say you're going to be stuck with inspection, newtons method or something like it or if you're lucky you may be able to reduce it to an easier polynomial via some transformation

sorry bro
HallsofIvy
Dec8-11, 04:19 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 38,879
If you are given exercises in which you are asked to find eigenvalues of 5 by 5 matrices by hand, I suspect it will have been set up so the characteristic equations have small integer roots. Once you have the polynomials, you might try the "rational root" theorem to narrow your choices.
Ray Vickson
Dec8-11, 10:37 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 4,666
Quote Quote by genericusrnme View Post
unless you've got a nice matrix (read diagonal) you're going to have to use some tricks, if you're lucky you can use the tschirnhaus transformation but most likely you'll have to resort to numerical approximations for the eigenvalues (newtons method or something) then you'll have to churn through to find the nullspace manually

it's pretty tedious work and chances are that you'd end up making an error doing it anyway..
you could just use mathematica or matlab, that'd be easier

if you don't have any of those, post your matrix and I'll give you the results, if you want?
Instead of matlab or mathematica, he/she might prefer to use Maple.

RGV
I like Serena
Dec8-11, 10:49 AM
HW Helper
P: 6,189
Or www.wolframalpha.com.

Register to reply