Help me decide with a mid range physic project

In summary, a student is asking for suggestions on a physics experiment that they can do for class, which should be somewhat challenging but not too expensive. Some ideas in the themes of torque, simple harmonic movement, waves, mechanical fluids, and temperature are mentioned, such as a ram water pump, hydraulic arm, and submarine. The student also mentions their unsuccessful attempts at proposing a Pascal Tube and hydraulic elevator project. Another student suggests making a hologram using a 5mW laser and provides links for instructions and further information. However, the teacher says it is not part of the class. The conversation then shifts to other potential experiment ideas, such as analyzing a non-linear pendulum or the behavior of standing waves on a weighted wire. The student
superjose

Homework Statement

Hi guys. Recently, my physics' teacher told my class to make an experiment from any of the themes which are covered in the period. I need some ideas in which I can make something, somewhat good and not easy looking, but at the same time not very budget consuming.

Homework Equations

Themes covered in my class:
Torque
Simple Harmonic Movement
Waves.
Mechanical Fluids
Temperature; thermodynamics.

In previous courses, people have done the following:

- Ram water pump

- Hydraulic Arm.

- Submarine.

The Attempt at a Solution

What I have tried proposing to no avail:

- Pascal Tube,

- Hydraulic elevator using Pascal's principle.

What he wants, and will give lots of extra points to the group who deliver:

-Sonoluminiescence

Any ideas? I am not living in the U.S., and I have a very limited access to labs, is there a not so expensive way to do a good, somewhat-complex looking project?

I appreciate a lot your great help!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it would be pretty cool if you were to get a 5mW laser (pretty cheap online, you can find them for < 10 bucks), and use it to make a hologram. Now that I think about it, I'm sure that there is a kit online that would make it pretty easy for you to do (I don't know if that's allowed).

Hopefully this falls under the waves category of your possible choices.

I googled how to make a hologram and got this link,
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7759505...dgets/t/how-make-holograms-home/#.TuD2SbJiLjw

and even though it will be pretty easy to do, the physics behind it can be pretty in depth no pun intended.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/optmod/holog.html

Just a thought :smile:

dacruick said:
I think it would be pretty cool if you were to get a 5mW laser (pretty cheap online, you can find them for < 10 bucks), and use it to make a hologram. Now that I think about it, I'm sure that there is a kit online that would make it pretty easy for you to do (I don't know if that's allowed).

Hopefully this falls under the waves category of your possible choices.

I googled how to make a hologram and got this link,
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7759505...dgets/t/how-make-holograms-home/#.TuD2SbJiLjw

and even though it will be pretty easy to do, the physics behind it can be pretty in depth no pun intended.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/optmod/holog.html

Just a thought :smile:

Thanks man! I'll give it a shot! Let's see what the teacher thinks about it. :D

Just asked the teacher... He said that it is not part of the class :(

superjose said:
Just asked the teacher... He said that it is not part of the class :(

Bummer. Yeah, I was wondering if it would be. I don't understand why it couldn't be a part of waves. Unless your class only did standing waves or something like that.

It's vexing that you don't have access to labs, what is the teacher expecting you to do, go to a grocery store and get materials? Bah.

Anyway, how about you analyze a non-linear pendulum - say an inverted pendulum. It's got some pretty interesting chaotic properties.

Or, if that's too high level, how about the behavior of standing waves on a weighted wire. That could be fairly easy to implement, get some wire from a home improvement store, add weights to one end, analyze.

e.bar.goum said:
It's vexing that you don't have access to labs, what is the teacher expecting you to do, go to a grocery store and get materials? Bah.

Anyway, how about you analyze a non-linear pendulum - say an inverted pendulum. It's got some pretty interesting chaotic properties.

Or, if that's too high level, how about the behavior of standing waves on a weighted wire. That could be fairly easy to implement, get some wire from a home improvement store, add weights to one end, analyze.

Hehehe. I'll ask the teacher that! Hopes he does not find it very simple :s.

What is a mid range physics project?

A mid range physics project is a scientific investigation or experiment that falls in between basic introductory projects and advanced research projects. It typically involves applying fundamental principles of physics to solve a real-world problem or explore a specific topic within the field.

How do I choose a mid range physics project?

To choose a mid range physics project, you should first identify your interests and strengths within the field of physics. Then, you can research different project ideas and consider the level of difficulty, available resources, and potential impact of each project. It is also helpful to consult with a mentor or teacher for guidance.

What are some examples of mid range physics projects?

Some examples of mid range physics projects include designing and testing a simple machine, investigating the properties of a specific material, or studying the effects of energy transfer. Other examples may involve building a model of a physical phenomenon or conducting a controlled experiment to collect and analyze data.

What are the key components of a successful mid range physics project?

A successful mid range physics project typically includes a clear research question, a well-designed experiment or investigation, accurate data collection and analysis, and a comprehensive conclusion that addresses the original question. It should also demonstrate a thorough understanding of relevant physics principles and use appropriate scientific methods.

How much time and resources are needed for a mid range physics project?

The amount of time and resources needed for a mid range physics project will vary depending on the specific project and your level of experience. However, on average, it may take several weeks to several months to complete a mid range project. It is important to plan ahead and allocate enough time for research, experimentation, and analysis. You may also need to gather materials and equipment, and seek assistance from a mentor or teacher if necessary.