Forces and Pressure in a Hydraulic System

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculations for determining the force and pressure in a hydraulic lift where the small piston has a diameter of 8.0 cm, the large piston has a diameter of 40 cm, and the lift is raising a load of 15,000 N. The solution for part a is 600 N, and for part b, the correct answer involves considering units of pressure in pascals.
forestmine

Homework Statement

The small piston of a hydraulic lift has a diameter of 8.0 cm, and its large piston has a diameter of 40 cm. The lift raises a load of 15,000 N.

(a) Determine the force that must be applied to the small piston.

(b) Determine the pressure applied to the fluid in the lift.

Homework Equations

p=F/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I correctly solved for part a, and came up with an answer of 600 N. I'm a little unclear about how to obtain the answer for part b. My thought was that since pressure = F/A, I could simply take the pressure I found from part a, and divide by the area of the smaller piston, but I'm not getting the correct answer...

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
You're doing it correctly. Could the problem be one of units? Pressure is often stated in Newtons/meter^2 (i.e., pascals). Note that 8.0 cm = 0.08 m.

EDIT// I must have been making a calculation error. I figured it out.

Thank you!

Last edited:

1. What is a hydraulic system?

A hydraulic system is a type of technology that uses pressurized liquids to transmit power and perform work. It is commonly used in machinery, vehicles, and other equipment that requires strong and precise movements.

2. How does a hydraulic system work?

A hydraulic system works by using a pump to create pressure in a liquid, usually oil or water. This pressurized liquid is then transmitted through a series of tubes and hoses to various components, such as cylinders and pistons, which convert the pressure into mechanical force to move and operate different parts of the system.

3. What are the advantages of using a hydraulic system?

One of the main advantages of a hydraulic system is its ability to generate a lot of power and force using small and compact components. It also allows for precise and smooth movements, making it suitable for delicate tasks. Additionally, hydraulic systems are generally more durable and require less maintenance compared to other types of systems.

4. What are some common applications of hydraulic systems?

Hydraulic systems are used in a wide range of industries and applications, including construction equipment, manufacturing machinery, aircraft, and automobiles. They are also commonly used in heavy-duty equipment, such as cranes, forklifts, and excavators.

5. What safety precautions should be taken when working with hydraulic systems?

When working with hydraulic systems, it is important to follow proper safety protocols to prevent accidents and injuries. This includes wearing protective gear, such as gloves and goggles, and properly maintaining and inspecting the system for any leaks or malfunctions. It is also important to release pressure from the system before making any repairs or adjustments.