Register to reply

Work (Physics)

by Drey0287
Tags: physics, work
Share this thread:
Drey0287
Dec7-04, 07:18 PM
P: 7
A 50-kg crate is pulled 40 m along a horizontal floor by a constant 100 N force exerted by a person which acts at a 37 degree angle above the horizontal. Determine the work done on the crate.

I know the equation for work is

work = F * delta X (triangleX) OR work = m*acceleration*deltaX

But where do I use the 37 degree angle?????
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
ascky
Dec7-04, 07:24 PM
P: 51
You have to take into account the direction of the force
W=Fxcos(theta)
dextercioby
Dec7-04, 07:28 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,896
Quote Quote by Drey0287
A 50-kg crate is pulled 40 m along a horizontal floor by a constant 100 N force exerted by a person which acts at a 37 degree angle above the horizontal. Determine the work done on the crate.

I know the equation for work is

work = F * delta X (triangleX) OR work = m*acceleration*deltaX

But where do I use the 37 degree angle?????
If the force would have acted parallel to the horizontal,u could have stated that the work is simply the product between the force's magnitude (100 N) and the distance (40m).That would not be the case,though,because not all of that force is acting on the crate.Only the horizontal component does.Then u should check whether the vertical component annulates the pression force on the ground as to lift the crate.Simple manipulation of numbers shows you that it doesn't.
Hopefully u're clear now.

Raza
Dec7-04, 08:20 PM
P: 208
Work (Physics)

Question:

Solution:
Work=(Force)(Displacment)(COS degrees)

[tex]W=fdcos[/tex]

[tex]=(100)(40)(Cos 37)[/tex]

[tex]=(100)(40)(0.80)[/tex]

[tex]=3200 J[/tex]

[tex]=3.2 kJ[/tex]

I might be wrong.

Register to reply