Find Displacement Amplitude for 79.8dB Wave

Sound_pressure_levelIn summary, the highest note written for a singer in a published score was F-sharp above high C, 1.48 kHz, for Zerbinetta in the original version of Richard Strauss's opera Ariadne auf Naxos. The wavelength of this wave is 0.232m. To find the displacement amplitude of the sound, the equation A=Δpo/ωρc is used, along with the known values of frequency and wavelength. The pressure amplitude, Δpo, is the unknown variable and cannot be determined without more information.
Gavandeshaq
The highest note written for a singer in a published score was F-sharp above high C, 1.48 kHz, for Zerbinetta in the original version of Richard Strauss's opera Ariadne auf Naxos.
The wavelength of this wave is 0.232m.
Suppose people in the fourth row of seats hear this note with level 79.8 dB. Find the displacement amplitude of the sound.

A=Δpo/ωρc
f=v/λ
ω=2∏f

By substituting all the known values into the first equation I'm left with an unknown variable - Δpo.

I've looked everywhere to try and discover an equation for the pressure amplitude but to no avail. I'm assuming it has something to do with the loudness I've been given but I've been plugging away for an hour or so now and I've come nowhere near a correct answer.

Physics news on Phys.org

What is the definition of displacement amplitude?

Displacement amplitude refers to the maximum distance a particle or object moves from its equilibrium position when a wave passes through it.

How is displacement amplitude measured?

Displacement amplitude is typically measured in units of meters (m) or millimeters (mm) using tools such as rulers or sensors.

What is the relationship between displacement amplitude and wave intensity?

Displacement amplitude is directly proportional to wave intensity, meaning that as displacement amplitude increases, so does wave intensity.

How can I find the displacement amplitude for a 79.8dB wave?

To find the displacement amplitude for a 79.8dB wave, you would need to know the sound pressure level (SPL) of the wave, which can be converted to a decibel (dB) value. From there, you can use the following formula: Displacement amplitude = (SPL in dB - reference level in dB)/20. The reference level is typically 20 micro-Pascals (μPa) for sound waves in air.

What factors can affect the displacement amplitude of a wave?

The displacement amplitude of a wave can be affected by factors such as the type of medium the wave is traveling through, the frequency and wavelength of the wave, and the energy or intensity of the wave.