Relationship between momentum and inertia

In summary: It's not because the heavier person has more mass; it's because the heavier person has more gravitational pull.
samclocks

Homework Statement

So, let's say a car is rolling down a ramp. I have to maximize its acceleration, but I am confused about some things. I think that if I increase the car's mass, then it will have more momentum and roll down the ramp faster. But according to Newton's First Law of Motion, an object's mass is inversely proportional to its acceleration. Its saying that having more mass will slow down the car's acceleration. So to me, these two things are contradicting to each other. Should I increase the mass, or decrease the mass of the car to make it roll down the ramp faster?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
samclocks said:

Homework Statement

So, let's say a car is rolling down a ramp. I have to maximize its acceleration, but I am confused about some things. I think that if I increase the car's mass, then it will have more momentum and roll down the ramp faster. But according to Newton's First Law of Motion, an object's mass is inversely proportional to its acceleration. Its saying that having more mass will slow down the car's acceleration. So to me, these two things are contradicting to each other. Should I increase the mass, or decrease the mass of the car to make it roll down the ramp faster?
Your question is one that scientists before Galileo argued about. Galileo showed that all objects dropped from the same height take the same time to reach the ground. This means that all objects have the same acceleration due to gravity.

Newton showed that F = ma or a = F/m.

So if acceleration, a, is the same for all objects (about 9.8 m/sec^2) what does that say about the relationship between the force of gravity and mass?

AM

So no matter what the car's mass is, the acceleration will be always 9.8m/sec^2 when rolling down the ramp?

samclocks said:
So no matter what the car's mass is, the acceleration will be always 9.8m/sec^2 when rolling down the ramp?
No. That would be the acceleration if the car was dropped. But the acceleration down the ramp will always be the same regardless of the mass of the car, assuming that there are no other forces retarding motion down the ramp.

AM

Last edited:
Think of a ramp that's only 1 degree above vertical. Surely the car is not going to accelerate at the same rate it would if dropped vertically.

You do realize this does not take into consideration variations in friction, different types of tires, tire inflation and so on.

Here's something to think about - why will a somewhat heavier person invariably beat a light person when sledding down a snow covered hill on the same sled? But a really heavy person will be last.

1. What is the relationship between momentum and inertia?

The relationship between momentum and inertia is that momentum is directly proportional to inertia. This means that as the mass and velocity of an object increases, so does its momentum and inertia.

2. How does momentum affect an object's inertia?

Momentum directly affects an object's inertia because the more momentum an object has, the harder it is to stop or change its direction. This is due to the object's resistance to changes in its state of motion, which is determined by its inertia.

3. Can an object have momentum without inertia?

No, an object cannot have momentum without inertia. Inertia is a property of matter that determines how difficult it is to change an object's state of motion, and momentum is a measure of the object's state of motion. Therefore, an object must have inertia in order to have momentum.

4. How does the law of conservation of momentum relate to inertia?

The law of conservation of momentum states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant, meaning it does not change. Inertia plays a role in this law because it is the property that allows objects to maintain their momentum and resist changes in motion.

5. How does an object's mass and velocity affect its momentum and inertia?

An object's mass and velocity have a direct relationship with its momentum and inertia. As an object's mass increases, so does its inertia and momentum. Similarly, as an object's velocity increases, so does its momentum and inertia.