Register to reply

Extremely high energy density batteries?

by jerich1000
Tags: battery, density, energy
Share this thread:
jerich1000
Dec11-11, 09:42 PM
P: 56
Are there articles written on exotic, ultimate batteries? I'm not referring to those for hybrid cars, but those that have energy densities up to that of nuclear fuels or higher.

Rather than batteries that operate via chemical oxidation and reduction, is there a theoretical type of battery that provides energy resulting from the decay of certain particles, and the recharging of the battery would be to reverse that process.

Obviously such batteries are not used today because of cost or other reasons.

Could any of you give me some links?

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
On-chip topological light: First measurements of transmission and delay
A two-stage trap for single protons leads to measurement of their magnetic properties
Unexpected phenomenon discovered at the surface of a transition metal oxide material
Indevolatile
Dec18-11, 03:38 AM
P: 1
See Radioisotope Thermoelectric Generator. They were pretty popular in the 50's and 60's for remote power generation. The US has since cleaned up most of theirs, but the Russian government seems to have lost track of more than a few. They remain pretty popular for powering satellites.
Drakkith
Dec19-11, 02:50 AM
Mentor
P: 11,629
First, let me say that a Battery is an array of electrochemical cells. Other devices that do not use electrochemical cells are not batteries. However let us assume that you meant energy storage devices.

A fairly good overview of energy storage can be found here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_storage

Note that none of the examples in that article are nuclear. That simply isn't an option expect in extreme situations, such as spacecraft.
Rather than batteries that operate via chemical oxidation and reduction, is there a theoretical type of battery that provides energy resulting from the decay of certain particles, and the recharging of the battery would be to reverse that process.
To my knowledge this is not possible.

Register to reply