Why is 3 pion decay of eta (η) strong forbidden?

In summary, The decay of an eta meson into 3 pions is not allowed as a strong reaction due to isospin conservation. However, it can proceed through an electromagnetic interaction. This is easiest to see using G parity, which is C e^{i\pi I_y}. To find the result of the I2 rotation operation, one can use Wigner D-matrix and carry over angular momentum features to isospin. The calculation can also be done more directly by using isospin conservation and pion spin-statistics. It is only possible for an eta to decay into 3 pions without violating isospin if 2 of the pions have p-wave wavefunctions.
Smithf
I have read that 3 pion decay of the eta is not allowed as a strong reaction, but proceeds as an electromagnetic interaction. I do not see why it is strong forbidden.

Physics news on Phys.org
That is easiest to see using G parity, which is [tex]C e^{i\pi I_y}[/tex].
One or three pions have negative G, while the eta has positive G.

How do you find the result of the I2 rotation operation?

Put "G Parity" into google.

From G-parity - Wikipedia

In general, P(G) = P(C)*(-1)^I
For fermion-antifermion systems, P(G) = (-1)^(L+S+I)
For boson-antiboson systems, P(G) = (-1)^(L+I)

To calculate exp(-i*pi*I2), use Wigner D-matrix - Wikipedia for rotation matrices between quantum-mechanical angular-momentum states. One can carry angular-momentum features over to isospin without much trouble.

For angular momentum j and state m to state m', find D(j,m,m',0,-pi,0) = d(j,m,m',-pi)

It is only nonzero if m' = - m: d(j,m,-m,-pi) = (-1)^(j+m)

One can do the calculation more directly, by using isospin conservation and pion spin-statistics. Pions have spin 0, making them bosons, with their combined wavefunction always being symmetric. It also simplifies the treatment of their spins, since their combined spin is always 0, with a symmetric combined wave function. Orbital angular momentum is usually handled by setting it to 0 (s-wave), giving the same simplification and symmetry.

Pions have isospin 1, while eta and eta' mesons have isospin 0. To find the total isospin of 3 pions, let's start with finding it for 2 pions. One gets these isospins and wavefunction symmetries:

Symmetric: 0, 2
Antisymmetric: 1

One can prove this alternation of symmetry more generally, I think.

Since their combined wavefunction must be symmetric, 2 s-wave pions must have isospin 0 or 2. Combining the isospin of the third pion gives possibilities 3, 1, and 1.

Using my SemisimpleLieAlgebras package, I find:
Symmetric: 3, 1
Mixed: 2, 1
Antisymmetric: 0

Thus, 3 s-wave pions cannot have zero isospin, and thus, an eta cannot decay into them without violating isospin. That can be done with the electromagnetic interaction, however.

Let's depart from the s-wave hypothesis, while using the smallest possible orbital angular momenta. The sum of these values must always be even from parity conservation, and we have two possibilities: 1 d-wave and 2 s-wave, and 1 s-wave and 2 p-wave.

The first one cannot have zero isospin, while the second one can, if the 2 p-wave pions have total angular momentum 1. That makes antisymmetry, and that can be compensated for with isospin antisymmetry and total isospin 1. The third pion's isospin can then combine with it to make isospin 0.

Thus, an eta can decay into 3 pions without violating isospin if 2 of them have p-wave wavefunctions.

1. Why is the 3 pion decay of eta (η) strongly forbidden?

The 3 pion decay of eta (η) is strongly forbidden due to the conservation of isospin and angular momentum. This decay violates the conservation of isospin by transforming the eta particle, which has isospin 0, into three pions, each with isospin 1. It also violates the conservation of angular momentum by producing three pions with a total spin of 0, while the eta particle has a spin of 0.

2. How does the conservation of isospin affect the 3 pion decay of eta (η)?

The conservation of isospin requires that the total isospin of the particles involved in a decay process remain constant. In the case of the 3 pion decay of eta (η), the eta particle has isospin 0 while the three pions each have isospin 1. This violates the conservation of isospin and thus the decay is strongly forbidden.

3. Why does the 3 pion decay of eta (η) violate the conservation of angular momentum?

The 3 pion decay of eta (η) violates the conservation of angular momentum because it produces three pions with a total spin of 0, while the eta particle has a spin of 0. Conservation of angular momentum requires that the total spin of particles involved in a decay process remains constant.

4. Can the 3 pion decay of eta (η) occur under any circumstances?

The 3 pion decay of eta (η) can occur under certain rare circumstances, such as in the presence of strong electromagnetic fields or in high-energy collisions. In these cases, the conservation of isospin and angular momentum can be temporarily violated, allowing for the decay to occur.

5. Are there any other particles whose 3 pion decay is strongly forbidden?

Yes, there are several other particles whose 3 pion decay is strongly forbidden due to the same conservation laws. These include the omega (ω) and phi (φ) mesons, which also have isospin 0 and spin 0, and the D and B mesons, which have isospin 0 and spin 1. In all of these cases, the 3 pion decay is forbidden due to the violation of isospin and angular momentum conservation.