Calculator help: data entry

by frosty7
Tags: calculator, test, test help, ti-84
frosty7
Dec16-11, 02:44 PM
P: 8
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

None of the forums seemed to fit this but this seemed like the best one. I've been having a bit of an unconventional problem in my AP physics class. When I'm taking a test I am able to find the answer analytically but I run in to trouble when i try to solve the answer numerically. Frequently I mess up when I'm putting numbers in on my calculator. Does anyone have some sort of method that would help me out? Should I just stop solving problems analytically unless the problem specifically asks me too??
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Lemurs match scent of a friend to sound of her voice
Repeated self-healing now possible in composite materials
'Heartbleed' fix may slow Web performance
Delphi51
Dec16-11, 02:56 PM
HW Helper
P: 3,394
Take time to get to know your calculator. What does it come up with when you enter
2+3x10? "Sin 30" or "30 sin" should come out to 0.5. Brackets may be necessary to make the entry unambiguous. How do you enter 3 x 10⁶ x 2? (could be 3E6 x 2 or 3x10^6 x 2). You and it must agree on how things are done. If you can't, toss it and get another one. Lots of students carry two, one for ordinary calcs and one for graphing and other fancy stuff. A really nice solar scientific calculator that defaults to degrees can be had for $10.

Register to reply