Circular Motion (finding speed)

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the minimum speed of a ball attached to a string and whirled in a vertical circle. The equation F = mv^2/R is used to determine the minimum speed at the top of the circle, and after rearranging the equation, a value of 2.35 m/s is obtained. However, the answer given on the sheet is 2.7 m/s, leading to a discussion on the forces involved and how to find the correct minimum speed.
lindsey0307

Homework Statement

A ball of mass 0.23 kg is attached securely to a string, then whirled at a constant speed in a vertical radius of 0.75 m. Calculate the minimum speed of the ball at the top of the path if it is to follow a complete circle.

Homework Equations

F = mv(squared)/R

The Attempt at a Solution

I first solved for Fc when the ball is at the top of the circle with F=mv(squared)/R - mg and it equals 1.7 N. I then rearranged the equation to solve for V using V = the square root of FR/m and got the answer 2.35 m/s. My sheet says the answer is 2.7, which is pretty close to what I got, but I may have done something wrong. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is what i think, right so the forces acting on the mass are gravity and the tension of the string, it's best to draw a diagram.
T = tension.
Defining positive direction to be downwards.At the top of the circle: F = mg + T

As you say F= (mv^2)/r for circular motion. So equate these.

Now can you figure out how to find the minimum speed?

Yes, I've figured it out now, thanks!

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path. It occurs when an object travels at a constant speed around a fixed point, known as the center of the circle.

2. How do you calculate the speed of an object in circular motion?

The speed of an object in circular motion can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it takes to complete one full revolution. This is known as the angular speed or velocity.

3. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration experienced by an object moving in a circular path. It is directed towards the center of the circle and is necessary to keep the object moving in a circular motion.

4. How does the radius of the circle affect the speed of an object in circular motion?

The speed of an object in circular motion is directly proportional to the radius of the circle. This means that as the radius increases, the speed of the object increases, and vice versa.

5. Can an object have a constant speed but varying velocity in circular motion?

Yes, an object can have a constant speed but varying velocity in circular motion. This occurs when the object changes direction, but its speed remains constant. This is because velocity takes into account the direction of motion, while speed only considers the magnitude of motion.