Transmission lines and Waveguides

In summary, waveguides are used for sending EM waves from one place to another, while TLs can carry both AC signals and EM waves. The existence of one does not imply the other, but both can be defined at different points along the guiding structure. The full fields are needed for calculating propagation, and the apparent movement of I and V is due to the high speed of EM waves.
erst
Ok, it's clear to me that waveguides are for sending EM waves from one place to another (e.g. TEM, TE, TM modes).

But what about TLs? I've seen them described as carrying AC signals (V or I) but also EM waves, e.g. TEM waves in coax cable. What gives? Does one imply the existence of the other? When the coax cable's signal enters my TV, what is the "data" - the V/I waveform or the EM waveform?

Engineering news on Phys.org
It is EM wave that travel down in the dielectric. The current is the consequence of the boundary condition of the H field which is perpendicular to the direction of propagation( down the coax).

[tex] \nabla \times \vec H = \vec J +\frac {\partial \vec D}{\partial t}\;\;\hbox { and }\;\; \vec I = \int_S \vec J \cdot d\vec S[/tex]

The velocity of electrons moving down the coax is very slow, it is not from the movement of the electrons that create the current flow. It is only because of the EM wave propagation at close to the speed of light that's why you see the apparent current flow instantaneously.

Last edited:
erst said:
Ok, it's clear to me that waveguides are for sending EM waves from one place to another (e.g. TEM, TE, TM modes).

But what about TLs? I've seen them described as carrying AC signals (V or I) but also EM waves, e.g. TEM waves in coax cable. What gives? Does one imply the existence of the other? When the coax cable's signal enters my TV, what is the "data" - the V/I waveform or the EM waveform?

In any waveguide or transmission line you can define a set of terminal at which there is an I and V. At these terminals you typically interface a circuit.

In reality there are I and V that could be defined all along the guiding structure but they are not helpful to describe the propagation. You need the full fields for that calculation.

Good point about I and V is defined at every point along the Tx line as the consequence of the E and H as you can see the differential form of Mexwell's equation is in point form. It is not that I and V are moving even though it looks like they are moving in very high speed. That's why you can measure the voltage at the end of the Tx line and get current if you put a load at the end.

1. What is the purpose of a transmission line or waveguide?

A transmission line or waveguide is used to transfer electrical energy, such as radio frequency signals, from one point to another with minimal loss or distortion. It is commonly used in communication systems, radar systems, and other electronic devices.

2. What is the difference between a transmission line and a waveguide?

A transmission line is a two-conductor structure that carries electrical signals along its length, whereas a waveguide is a hollow metal tube that guides electromagnetic waves along its length. Waveguides are typically used for higher frequency signals and have a smaller size compared to transmission lines.

3. What are some common types of transmission lines?

Some common types of transmission lines include coaxial cables, microstrip lines, and stripline. Coaxial cables are used for high frequency signals and consist of a central conductor surrounded by a dielectric material and an outer conductor. Microstrip lines are used for microwave signals and consist of a thin conductor on a dielectric substrate. Stripline is similar to microstrip but has two conductors separated by a dielectric material.

4. How do you calculate the characteristic impedance of a transmission line?

The characteristic impedance of a transmission line is determined by its physical dimensions and the properties of the materials used. It can be calculated using the equation Zc = sqrt(L/C), where L is the inductance per unit length and C is the capacitance per unit length of the transmission line.

5. What is the purpose of a matching network in a transmission line?

A matching network is used to ensure that the load connected to the transmission line receives the maximum amount of power. It is designed to match the impedance of the load to the characteristic impedance of the transmission line, minimizing signal reflections and maximizing power transfer.