Mass on a spring and GravityPain in the neck

In summary: In either case, the system will be in an equilibrium position at some point and we can use that point to calculate g. In summary, the gravity of Earth can be determined using the mass and the spring's extension at equilibrium.
saltrock
How can the gravity of Earth be determined using mass ona spring?
Myworking:T=2pie squarerook of m/k
There no g in the question above.I have spend ages trying to figure out the link between the gravity and the mass on spring.
If you can give me some hint then i'l be able to work it out.
Any help would highly be appriciated

Physics news on Phys.org
What pulls the mass downward? Gravity does. What restoring force acts on the mass, trying to pull it back up to its equilibrium position? The spring restoring force. If the spring is "Hookian", then this restoring force obey's Hooke's law: F = -ky. The displacement y from the equilibrium position is downward, and the farther down gravity pulls the mass, the stronger the restoring force (upward, because of the negative sign) becomes. The equilibrium position occurs when the two forces are equal (gravity has pulled the mass down far enough that the restoring force is now strong enough to exactly counteract gravity). The mass will hang suspended at this elongation y. That is all you need to answer this problem (equate the forces). If I put this into equation form for you, I'd be giving away the answer (in fact, I already have :wink: ).

that means F=Kx=g.So,i have got to find Kx and that will give me the gravity right??Extension at equilibrium position is zero so K times o gives me 0 gravity...so i am not gettin any value fo gravity>>>..can you make me more clear please..I know i am a bit thick..;)

Just remember to apply Newton second law. Which states that SUM F = ma.
Combining Hooke's law F = -kx and Newton law you can get your acceleration or in this case the gravity.

saltrock said:
that means F=Kx=g.

You might want to rethink that. Is g a force?

saltrock said:
So,i have got to find Kx and that will give me the gravity right??Extension at equilibrium position is zero so K times o gives me 0 gravity...so i am not gettin any value fo gravity>>>..can you make me more clear please..I know i am a bit thick..;)

We are talking about a mass and spring that are suspended vertically. that's why I called the restoring force ky instead of kx. I guess I should have stated that clearly from the beginning my first post, although that would have been answering the question for you, of how to measure the value of g using this apparatus. (I also thought it was obvious, because if the mass/spring system were horizontal...why would gravity be affecting the length of the spring?) ...

I see the problem...I used the word "equilibrium" in my post to mean both the unstretched position, and later on to mean the position at which there was equilibrium between the two forces. Notice that this second, new, "equilibrium" extension of the spring is no longer "zero" ie. unstretched. On the contrary...it has some finite extension. Does that clear things up?

Last edited:
I sort of like have understood it..can you please give me a weblink that clearly explains this process please.Any help would highly be appriciated

I really don't think you need a weblink for this man...it's really simple. I'll take one last stab at explaining...

1. Hang mass on a spring from the ceiling.

2. There are TWO forces acting on it:
i) gravity pulls it down -- it is falling
ii) the spring is trying to pull it back up.

3. When the two forces are equal, the mass will come to a rest.

4. How do we know when the two forces are equal?
i) the gravitational force is constant and equal to the mass' weight,which is mass, m, multiplied by acceleration due to gravity: g. -->mg

ii) the spring restoring force is NOT constant. it gets stronger the more the spring is stretched. In other words it is proportional to the distance the spring has been stretched from its unstretched length. Let's call this 'y' The force is --> -ky

5. So, based on #3, all you have to do is equate the forces and solve for g.

so,g=-ky/m but i don't know the values for k and m and i am only allowed to use a stopwatch,millimetre rule and apparatus for supporting the spring.

A problem I hadn't considered, but not to worry: a minor one.

Normally, the experiment I have just described is put forward as a means of measuring 'k' when g is assumed to be known beforehand.

You know neither g nor k. So what to do? First: measure k experimentally by some other method. Then use its value in the experiment I just described to get g.

What other method? Well, what else can we do with a mass-spring system other than hang it vertically? Well, we could set it oscillating horizontally in simple harmonic motion, just as you had intended orginially. If you do so, I think you will find that there is something you wrote in your very first post that you could measure experimentally. It wouldn't give separate values for m and k necessarily, but it would allow you to take care of both. :wink:

Sorry for not thinking about this before...

T=2piesq.root of m over k
Regrranging this will give me k=2pieM/t^2

g=-kx/m
Putting the value of K in the above equation will give me

g=-4Pie^2x/T^2

I can measure T and i got rid of K and m(i didnt know what the mass was as i wasnt allowed to use any equipment to measure mass) :)

Thanks a lot cepheid for helping me out and responding really quickly.Cheers

Last edited:

1. What is the relationship between mass on a spring and gravity?

The relationship between mass on a spring and gravity is that the force of gravity acting on an object is directly proportional to its mass. This means that the more mass an object has, the stronger the force of gravity it experiences. This can affect the way a mass on a spring behaves, as the force of gravity pulling down on the object can impact its oscillation or movement.

2. How does gravity affect a mass on a spring?

Gravity affects a mass on a spring by exerting a downward force on the object, which can impact its movement and equilibrium position. The strength of gravity is also dependent on the mass of the object, so a heavier mass on a spring will experience a stronger pull from gravity.

3. What is the role of gravity in determining the period of oscillation for a mass on a spring?

Gravity plays a role in determining the period of oscillation for a mass on a spring because it affects the weight and downward force on the object, which can impact the frequency and amplitude of its oscillation. The period of oscillation is also affected by the spring constant and the mass of the object.

4. Can the force of gravity change the natural frequency of a mass on a spring?

Yes, the force of gravity can change the natural frequency of a mass on a spring. The natural frequency is determined by the mass of the object and the stiffness of the spring, but the force of gravity can also impact the oscillation and equilibrium position of the mass on the spring, thus altering its natural frequency.

5. How does the force of gravity contribute to neck pain?

The force of gravity can contribute to neck pain by continuously pulling down on the head and neck, causing strain on the neck muscles and spine. This can lead to discomfort, stiffness, and even injury if the force of gravity is not properly supported by good posture and neck support. Additionally, the force of gravity may also affect the alignment of the spine and cause tension in the neck muscles.