IR2110 H-Bridge Inverter for Induction Heater

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a High Power High frequency Induction Heater inverter using an H-bridge configuration and IR2110 gate drivers. The speaker is seeking advice and recommendations for their circuit, as well as asking questions about certain components and calculations. Suggestions are made for using different diodes and gate drivers to improve the circuit's performance and reliability. The conversation ends with the speaker expressing their gratitude for the feedback and their intention to test the circuit in real life.
h1mel
Hi,

I was designing a High Power High frequency Induction Heater inverter. I've choose H-bridge configuration for the inverter
and IR2110 gate drivers to drive the bridge. As the IR2110 is a half-bridge driver i'll use two of them to drive the both sides.
I've done a rough circuit(just drawing). As i don't know much about power electronics i wonder if there is any mistake.

i am looking for advice, recommendation, and any kind of error that should be fixed in my circuit.

Also I've some questions:

1) what is the use of C3 n how i'll calculate the value?
2) Exactly which back EMF protection Diode should i use as D' ?
3) Do i need to use an opto-isolator for high side nMosfets?

The intended frequency is 150KHz and the Mosfet's are N-type.

Attachments

• H-bridge.jpg
    H-bridge.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 7,945
Engineering news on Phys.org
I would replace the 1n5818 with something higher voltage and lower current. Even a 1n4148 would be better but not as good as say a STTH1L06. D2 and D3 will likely see 30v transients as the gate drive line rings.

In position D1 you would destroy the circuit the moment it powers up. When q1 closes, the inverse voltage is around 260v. White smoke and dead circuit with the 1n5818 rated for 30 volts.

C3 is a strait forward bypass cap. 100nf should do it. C2 needs some special consideration though as it holds up the high side driver during the time q1 is on. It's value will depend on the frequency and maximum duty cycle. The application note for the 2111 should give you this formula.

No opto needed, that's what the 2111 is for.

D' is built into the fet. You didn't specify it; that's something that will make or break your driver.

If you run the inverter correctly you will not need to pass large currents through the body diodes. You will instead close the fet and let the transistor do the work.

This is not a trivial design exercise. Expect a lot of learning to take place and a lot of blown prototypes.

One suggestion I would make for diode D1 is to choose a much faster reverse recovery time diode. This also depends on your power supply that you are bootstrapping from, because if the diode does not switch fast enough, you have current go back into your supply and can ruin it.

I had this problem using a gate driver on a BLDC motor.

Antiphon said:
I would replace the 1n5818 with something higher voltage and lower current. Even a 1n4148 would be better but not as good as say a STTH1L06. D2 and D3 will likely see 30v transients as the gate drive line rings.

In position D1 you would destroy the circuit the moment it powers up. When q1 closes, the inverse voltage is around 260v. White smoke and dead circuit with the 1n5818 rated for 30 volts.

I am not sure if i would find the STTH1L06 in my country. But still i'll search for it. Can you recommend another high power diode fast enough to charge the bootcap at 150 KHz switching speed??

there is another cap between the Vdd and Vss in the datasheet of IR2110. is it mandatory in my circuit?

I'm not a fan of the 2110. For this application, I'd use a dual low side gate driver and a gate driver transformer. One of my favorites is the Pulse, P0584NL.

I drive the gates on through a resistor to delay turn on. Off through a schottky rectifier to ensure rapid turn off. I place back to back zener diode across the gate to source leads to proect the Mosfets.

Some Mosfets survive bridge applications better than others. As I recall, Infineon made good bridge parts.

I've had really good luck with STMicro MOSFETs. Unlike Infineon they include the gate Zeners in the package. Infineon has better overall specs on their fets though.

Also, I've used the IR2111 drivers wih great success. For a while my bridges were blowing up sporadically because I was running Vcc too close the max combned with inadequate gate damping. I dropped my Vcc to 12V and damped all the gate lines.

Haven't blown another fet since 2005 (have 2,400,000 unit-hours continuous with no failures).

There are lots of diodes that would work. You want an ultrafast rated for more than twice your peak supply voltage (a 600V diode would be fine). I think there's a diode common in Asia called SROM that would work for you.

Mike_In_Plano said:
I'm not a fan of the 2110. For this application, I'd use a dual low side gate driver and a gate driver transformer. One of my favorites is the Pulse, P0584NL.

I drive the gates on through a resistor to delay turn on. Off through a schottky rectifier to ensure rapid turn off. I place back to back zener diode across the gate to source leads to proect the Mosfets.

Some Mosfets survive bridge applications better than others. As I recall, Infineon made good bridge parts.

I use 1n4148 for the gate turnoff. Are you using a Schottkey because of a large gate capacitance?

Antiphon said:
I've had really good luck with STMicro MOSFETs. Unlike Infineon they include the gate Zeners in the package. Infineon has better overall specs on their fets though.

Also, I've used the IR2111 drivers wih great success. For a while my bridges were blowing up sporadically because I was running Vcc too close the max combned with inadequate gate damping. I dropped my Vcc to 12V and damped all the gate lines.

Haven't blown another fet since 2005 (have 2,400,000 unit-hours continuous with no failures).

There are lots of diodes that would work. You want an ultrafast rated for more than twice your peak supply voltage (a 600V diode would be fine). I think there's a diode common in Asia called SROM that would work for you.

Thanx for the feedback! Now time to try out the whole thing in real! :)

In the nineties, we were using gate drive transformers with a high carrier frequency and rectification circuit to drive our motor IGBTs for motor drives. We attempted to use 2210's and another custom part, based around the silicon well technology.
In both cases, our failure rate during qualification went up remarkably.
After that, I've used either gate drive transformers or opto-isolator devices - each with great effect.
Of course, grounding is a big issue with the 2110's, but I don't believe that was our problem. We had a group of sell seasoned power electronics engineers on this.
I've also heard that packaging / contamination was a problem with the early devices.
This I'm more inclined to believe. I've seen these issues repeatidly - especially in rectifiers.

As to the reason I used shottky diodes, it probably started because we generally used them anyway and it was good to keep the bill of materails short. It also helped that they had a low forward drop and reacted well to the very short over current they experienced.

It was important to stick with lower voltage, moderate current, power schottkys. As they get larger, the charge transfer can be really high. The same for silicon power rectifiers that exceed 200 PiV.

As to MOSFETs, I designed bridges that did not have parallel rectifiers across the MOSFETs. From this, we learned that some MOSFETs hold up better than others. There's some odd physics involved in using the body diode in freewheeling mode. As I recall, the manufacturers said little about this, with the exception of infinion. They actually designed for this application.

I'm curious what the state of the art is now. I have friends that design resonant bridge converters, and I've never seen them use rectifiers across the bridge transistors, though I do think they use so sort of solid state high-side drive.

I'll have to get back on this.

- Mike

1. What is an IR2110 H-Bridge Inverter?

The IR2110 H-Bridge Inverter is a type of electronic circuit that uses power transistors to switch the direction of current flow in an electrical system. It is commonly used in induction heaters to control the flow of electricity to the heating coil.

2. How does an IR2110 H-Bridge Inverter work?

The IR2110 H-Bridge Inverter works by using four power transistors to create an "H" shape in the electrical circuit. By switching the transistors on and off in a specific pattern, the inverter can control the direction of current flow and adjust the amount of power delivered to the induction heater coil.

3. What is the purpose of an H-Bridge Inverter in an induction heater?

The H-Bridge Inverter is a crucial component in an induction heater because it allows for precise control over the amount of power delivered to the heating coil. This control is necessary for heating materials to specific temperatures and for maintaining a consistent temperature during the heating process.

4. What are the advantages of using an IR2110 H-Bridge Inverter in an induction heater?

Using an IR2110 H-Bridge Inverter in an induction heater offers several advantages, including precise control over power delivery, fast response time, and efficient use of energy. It also allows for the use of different power sources, such as batteries or solar panels, to power the induction heater.

5. Can an IR2110 H-Bridge Inverter be used for other applications?

Yes, an IR2110 H-Bridge Inverter can be used for various applications that require precise control over power delivery, such as motor speed control, DC-AC conversion, and robotics. It is a versatile and widely used circuit in the field of electronics.