by ThomasT
Tags: candidacy, rick, santorum
Share this thread:
lisab
Mar29-12, 07:35 PM
Mentor
P: 2,990
Be very afraid!

Honestly, it's so bad, and so desperate, it's funny...in a ridiculous way, at least.
edward
Mar29-12, 09:47 PM
PF Gold
P: 876
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
Be very afraid!

Honestly, it's so bad, and so desperate, it's funny...in a ridiculous way, at least.
The most scary thing about the fear factor is that it often works. This video is so far over the edge that only my nutty sister -in- law will believe it.
skeptic2
Mar29-12, 09:56 PM
P: 1,815
The irony is that Santorum criticizes both high gas prices and a nuclear Iran, ignoring the fact that the former is a result of trying to prevent the latter.
mheslep
Mar29-12, 10:22 PM
PF Gold
P: 3,098
Quote Quote by edward View Post
The most scary thing about the fear factor is that it often works. ...
Yep. Here's the king of all scary adds for perspective. It was broadcast only once during the Goldwater-Johnson election, and that was enough.
skippy1729
Mar29-12, 10:23 PM
P: 148
Quote Quote by ThomasT View Post
Reading through the last few pages in this thread it seems that Santorum is continuing his campaign of expressing, imho, inane opinions on unimportant issues in order to, apparently, appeal to a certain perceived base constituency.

Will the net effect of this keep him from becoming the next US president? Well, I hope so.
It is puzzling. If there are any "values voters" or "religious right" voters who don't already know where Rick stands on these issues they must be living under a rock. Yet he continues with statements that alienate many other Republicans and independents. Almost all Republicans would vote for him anyway but independents are the key.
SHISHKABOB
Mar30-12, 12:18 AM
P: 614
was that done by the daily show or the colber report

I was honestly expecting to hear an audience laughing at the end but... I didn't ;_;
BobG
Mar30-12, 05:50 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,280
Be very afraid!

I like it. The Obamaville part at the end gives it a bit of a Twilight Zone feel.

I have to admit including a nuclear explosion (as the Daisy ad did) would make it better. Nuclear explosions always work in political ads. (In fact, even warning that "we don't want the smoking gun to be a mushroom cloud" even works in the 21st century.)

SHISHKABOB
Mar30-12, 08:36 PM
P: 614
http://www.opposingviews.com/i/polit...s-obama-n-word

I've tried my hardest, but I'm having a tough time thinking of some word that goes "nig-" that would fit after "anti-war"

anyways, what's wrong with being anti-war in the first place? Why is that something to frowned upon.
Angry Citizen
Mar30-12, 10:25 PM
P: 867
Quote Quote by SHISHKABOB View Post
http://www.opposingviews.com/i/polit...s-obama-n-word

I've tried my hardest, but I'm having a tough time thinking of some word that goes "nig-" that would fit after "anti-war"

anyways, what's wrong with being anti-war in the first place? Why is that something to frowned upon.
It's very clearly that word. He even starts stuttering afterwards, knowing he just sunk his candidacy.

Now we just have to start wondering who Romney will trot out for a VP, and if it'll be as vapid and depressing as the last one the Republican nominee picked. For Santorum, Bill Paxton said it best: Game over, man. Game over.
Char. Limit
Mar30-12, 10:53 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,951
Well, that's Santorum done. His advisers can't even deny it.
jreelawg
Mar30-12, 11:03 PM
P: 450
Wow.

Santorum-"...We all know what Obama was like. The anti-war, government nig uh the fuh the uh..."
That's worse than his no welfare for blah people speech.
ThomasT
Mar31-12, 01:54 AM
P: 1,414
Quote Quote by skippy1729 View Post
It is puzzling. If there are any "values voters" or "religious right" voters who don't already know where Rick stands on these issues they must be living under a rock. Yet he continues with statements that alienate many other Republicans and independents. Almost all Republicans would vote for him anyway but independents are the key.
Yes, that seems to be the case. It seems, and one can hope, that he's talked himself into nonelectable ... ness.
ThomasT
Mar31-12, 02:02 AM
P: 1,414
Be very afraid!

Yeah, it's hard for me to comprehend that tens of millions of Americans will buy into this stuff. But, apparently, that's the case.
Gokul43201
Mar31-12, 07:04 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
Quote Quote by BobG View Post
Nuclear explosions always work in political ads.
They didn't help Humphrey win. But it's obvious why Humphrey lost; his campaign slogan is ungrammatical.
Jack21222
Mar31-12, 03:02 PM
P: 772
Quote Quote by Char. Limit View Post
Well, that's Santorum done. His advisers can't even deny it.
I've heard three hypotheses that could explain what he said.

Perhaps he was trying to add the Slavic ending -nik to government. You know, a governmentnik, like a peacenik or a beatnik.

Or, he started to say "negotiator" and realized that "negotiator" isn't really an insult, so he stopped.

One conservative blog said that he tripped over two separate words, one starting with an N and one starting with a G, and it's just an unfortunate coincidence that they were next to each other.

I don't really buy any of these explanations, but they're possibilities.
jduster
Mar31-12, 06:45 PM
P: 46
There is a chance he was about to say the word "nig".

I don't think this slip was too consequential.

We already know that nearly all African American voters are not supporting him.
skeptic2
Mar31-12, 06:59 PM
P: 1,815
Quote Quote by jduster View Post
There is a chance he was about to say the word "nig".

I don't think this slip was too consequential.

Do you think only African Americans would be offended if he said nig?
Evo
Mar31-12, 07:09 PM
Mentor
P: 26,557
Quote Quote by jduster View Post
Source?

Register to reply