Proof: Topology of subsets on a Cartesian product

by Colossus91
Tags: cartesian, product, proof, subsets, topology
Share this thread:
Colossus91
Jan10-12, 08:22 PM
P: 1
The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let Tx and Ty be topologies on X and Y, respectively. Is T = { A B : A[itex]\in[/itex]Tx, B[itex]\in[/itex]Ty } a topology on X Y?

The attempt at a solution

I know that in order to prove T is a topology on X Y I need to prove:
i. (∅, ∅)[itex]\in[/itex]T and (X Y)[itex]\in[/itex]T
ii. T is closed under finite intersections
iii. T is closed under arbitrary unions

In order to prove (i) I would have to prove that ∅[itex]\in[/itex]A and ∅[itex]\in[/itex]B. I think this is true because the empty set is in all sets.
I'm not sure how to approach proving that X[itex]\in[/itex]A as even though A[itex]\in[/itex]Tx, this implies that A[itex]\in[/itex]X or A is X. I'm not sure how continue from here. Same with Y[itex]\in[/itex]B.

For ii. I think that since Tx and Ty are topologies themselves, they are closed under finite intersections, and since A[itex]\in[/itex]Tx and B[itex]\in[/itex]Ty then A and B are also closed under finite intersections, thus T is closed under finite intersections. I have to go more into detail with this but I just want to make sure if this is the right idea.

I think iii. could also be proved with a similar argument to the one used to prove ii.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Slats18
Jan10-12, 11:25 PM
P: 47
For (i), your topology T is the set of all open sets A x B such that A is an element of T_x, and B is an element of T_y. X is an element of T_x, as it is required to be one by the same rules we a re trying to prove, as well as the empty set, and vice versa for Y being an element on T_y. Use this fact to show that X x Y is in your topology T.
Fredrik
Jan11-12, 12:34 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,421
Quote Quote by Colossus91 View Post
i. (∅, ∅)[itex]\in[/itex]T and (X Y)[itex]\in[/itex]T
This one should say ##\emptyset\in T## and ##X\times Y\in T##.

In order to prove (i) I would have to prove that ∅[itex]\in[/itex]A and ∅[itex]\in[/itex]B. I think this is true because the empty set is in all sets.
It's not. It's a subset of all sets, but most sets don't have it as a member.

I'm not sure how to approach proving that X[itex]\in[/itex]A as even though A[itex]\in[/itex]Tx, this implies that A[itex]\in[/itex]X or A is X. I'm not sure how continue from here. Same with Y[itex]\in[/itex]B.
It doesn't make sense to try to prove that X is a member of A when you haven't specified what A is.

##A\in T_x## doesn't imply what you say it implies. It just means that A is an open subset of X.

Note that the definition of T says that T consists of of all cartesian products of two open subsets of X and Y, such that the first set is a subset of X and the second a subset of Y. To check if ##\emptyset\in T##, you should ask yourself if ∅ can be expressed as a cartesian product at all. XY is obviously a cartesian product, so to prove that XY is in T, you only have to prove...what?

For ii. I think that since Tx and Ty are topologies themselves, they are closed under finite intersections, and since A[itex]\in[/itex]Tx and B[itex]\in[/itex]Ty then A and B are also closed under finite intersections, thus T is closed under finite intersections. I have to go more into detail with this but I just want to make sure if this is the right idea.
I don't see what A and B being closed under finite intersections have to do with anything. You need to start with a statement like "Let n be an arbitrary positive integer, and let ##E_1,\dots,E_n## be arbitrary members of T". Then you prove that ##\bigcap_{k=1}^n E_k\in T##.

Register to reply