Easy delta/epsilon proof of a multivariable limit

by pureza
Tags: limit definition
Share this thread:
pureza
Jan18-12, 11:28 PM
P: 3
Hi,

I'm trying to wrap my head around epsilon/delta proofs for multivariable limits and it turns out I became stuck on an easy one!

The limit is:

[itex]\lim_{(x,y) \to (1,1)}\frac{xy}{x+y}[/itex]

Obviously, the result is [itex]1/2[/itex], but I'm unable to prove it!

Any hints?

Thank you!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
What lit up the universe?
Sheepdogs use just two simple rules to round up large herds of sheep
Animals first flex their muscles
HallsofIvy
Jan19-12, 09:02 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,533
Well, what have you done? I assume you want to prove that

"Given [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex] there exist [itex]\delta> 0[/itex] such that if [itex]\sqrt{(x-1)^2+ (y-1)^2}<\delta[/itex] then
[tex]\sqrt{\frac{xy}{x+y}- 1}<\epsilon[/tex]"
pureza
Jan19-12, 09:48 AM
Actually I think I might have solved it:

I want to prove that

Given [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex] there exist [itex]\delta> 0[/itex] such that if [itex]\sqrt{(x-1)^2+ (y-1)^2}<\delta[/itex] then
[tex]\left|\frac{xy}{x+y}- \frac{1}{2}\right|<\epsilon[/tex]

Now,

[tex]\left|\frac{xy}{x+y}- \frac{1}{2}\right|=\left|\frac{2xy-(x+y)}{2(x+y)}\right|=\left|\frac{xy + xy-x-y)}{2(x+y)}\right|=\left|\frac{x(y-1)+y(x-1)}{2(x+y)}\right|\leq\left|\frac{x(y-1)}{2(x+y)}\right|+\left|\frac{y(x-1)}{2(x+y)}\right|[/tex] by the triangle inequality.

Now, I know that since [itex]{(x,y) \to (1,1)}[/itex] I can make [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] positive so that [itex]\left|\frac{x}{x+y}\right|\leq1[/itex] and [itex]\left|\frac{y}{x+y}\right|\leq1[/itex]. [I'm no sure about this argument]

This way,

[tex]\left|\frac{x(y-1)}{2(x+y)}\right|+\left|\frac{y(x-1)}{2(x+y)}\right|\leq|y-1|+|x-1|[/tex]

But this is just a square with side 2 around the point [itex](x, y)[/itex]. This square is entirely contained by the circle with center [itex](x, y)[/itex] and radius [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex].

So, when given some [itex]ε>0[/itex] if I set [itex]δ=min(1, ε\sqrt{2})[/itex] and I choose a point [itex](x, y)[/itex] such that [itex]\sqrt{(x-1)^2+ (y-1)^2}<ε\sqrt{2}[/itex], then certainly [itex]|y-1|+|x-1|<ε[/itex] and, by extension,

[tex]\left|\frac{xy}{x+y}- \frac{1}{2}\right|<ε[/tex]

What's wrong with my rationale? :-)

jgens
Jan19-12, 11:43 AM
P: 1,622
Easy delta/epsilon proof of a multivariable limit

Quote Quote by pureza View Post
So, when given some [itex]ε>0[/itex] if I set [itex]δ=min(1, ε\sqrt{2})[/itex] and I choose a point [itex](x, y)[/itex] such that [itex]\sqrt{(x-1)^2+ (y-1)^2}<ε\sqrt{2}[/itex], then certainly [itex]|y-1|+|x-1|<ε[/itex] and, by extension,

I did not read anything other than this line so I cannot comment on anything else you wrote, but this is wrong. Take (x,y) such that ε < [(x-1)2+(y-1)2]1/2 ≤ ε21/2. Then notice that [(x-1)2+(y-1)2]1/2 ≤ |x-1|+|y-1| to find (x,y) with [(x-1)2+(y-1)2]1/2 ≤ ε21/2 but ε < |x-1|+|y-1|.
pureza
Jan19-12, 12:13 PM
Obviously, you are right (thank you). Take [itex]ε=1[/itex]. I can choose a point in the circle with radius [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] that is not inside the square [itex]|x-1|+|y-1|<1[/itex].

How about this: if I choose a point inside the circle with radius ε, then that point is also inside the square with side 2ε, because the circle is contained within the square.

Therefore, if I set [itex]δ\leq ε[/itex], then I know that any point inside the circle with radius δ verifies [itex]|x-1|+|y-1|<ε[/itex], which, if the first part of my derivation is correct, implies that

Is this correct?

Register to reply