1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
I'm supposed to show that the Hermite Polynomials are in Schwartz space

[itex]h_n = \frac{1}{\sqrt{n!}}(A^{\dagger})^n h_0[/itex]

where

[itex]A^{\dagger} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}(-\frac{d}{dx} + x)[/itex]

and

[itex]h_0 = \pi^{-1/4}e^{-x^2/2}[/itex]

2. Relevant equations
Seminorm: [itex]\|\phi\|_{\alpha,\beta} = \sup_{x\in\mathbb{R}^n}|x^{\alpha}\partial^{\beta}\phi(x)|[/itex]

([itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex] are multi-indices)

Schwartz space is defined as being the set
[itex]S(\mathbb{R}^n) = \{\phi\in C^{\infty}(\mathbb{R}^n)|\|\phi\|_{\alpha,\beta}< \infty \ \forall\alpha,\beta\in\mathbb{N}^n\}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
My idea was to show that [itex]A^{\dagger}: S(\mathbb{R})\rightarrow S(\mathbb{R})[/itex] is a linear map from Schwartz space to itself. Then it would be enough to show that [itex]h_0[/itex] is in Schwartz space for the problem to be solved

Multiplication with [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]d/dx[/itex] are linear maps from Schwartz space to itself since according to the definition of the seminorm [itex]\|\cdot\|_{\alpha,\beta},\ \alpha,\beta\in\mathbb{Z}_{>0}[/itex] [itex]\|x\phi(x)\|\leq \|\phi(x)\|_{\alpha+1,\beta} + \beta\|\phi(x)\|_{\alpha,\beta-1}[/itex] and [itex]\|\frac{d}{dx}\phi(x)\| = \|\phi(x)\|_{\alpha,\beta+1}[/itex].
This means that the first part is finished.

Is this approach valid or have I completely misunderstood the concept? Also, how do I show that [itex]e^{-x^2/2}\in S(\mathbb{R})[/itex]?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space

Register to reply